How many radiators??

jaybee33

I have a 2014 A3 1.6 tdi with a coolant leak. My mechanic took a look and was puzzled by finding 3 radiators behind the grille. He thought one was the aircon rad, another the engine coolant rad and the 3rd one an intercooler rad. However this small one at the bottom is water cooled so can't be a turbo intercooler. 

I rang Audi who confirmed it's called a secondary rad, basically to supplement the main engine cooling rad.

So...a) what's the point of having a larger rad with a smaller one RIGHT underneath it doing the same job? b) can they be removed without taking the front bumper, grille etc off the car?

My only thought is it's a money-making ploy from Audi making us have to buy 2 radiators instead of 1.

5 hours ago, jaybee33 said:

I have a 2014 A3 1.6 tdi with a coolant leak. My mechanic took a look and was puzzled by finding 3 radiators behind the grille. He thought one was the aircon rad, another the engine coolant rad and the 3rd one an intercooler rad. However this small one at the bottom is water cooled so can't be a turbo intercooler. 

I rang Audi who confirmed it's called a secondary rad, basically to supplement the main engine cooling rad.

So...a) what's the point of having a larger rad with a smaller one RIGHT underneath it doing the same job? b) can they be removed without taking the front bumper, grille etc off the car?

My only thought is it's a money-making ploy from Audi making us have to buy 2 radiators instead of 1.

Hi it is possible that the third rad is an oil cooler  for the gearbox if its auto if not it may be for the engine oil. Furthermore if its for engine cooling alone its highly unlikely the main rad and auxiliary rad would fail at the same time.

Steve.

11 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi it is possible that the third rad is an oil cooler  for the gearbox if its auto if not it may be for the engine oil. Furthermore if its for engine cooling alone its highly unlikely the main rad and auxiliary rad would fail at the same time.

Steve.

Thanks for the reply Steve. Audi have already confirmed the 'mini' radiator directly below the main radiator is a supplementary radiator but couldn't tell me why it needs one. If it was an oil cooler would it be water cooled?

Mechanics advice is to change them both as they are both wet, although it may be dripping onto the bottom one. Is it a case of front bumper off to get them out or can they be pulled from above?

9 hours ago, jaybee33 said:

Thanks for the reply Steve. Audi have already confirmed the 'mini' radiator directly below the main radiator is a supplementary radiator but couldn't tell me why it needs one. If it was an oil cooler would it be water cooled?

Mechanics advice is to change them both as they are both wet, although it may be dripping onto the bottom one. Is it a case of front bumper off to get them out or can they be pulled from above?

Hi, yes it cold be a water cooled oil rad as they seem to be all the rage as the cooling effect on the oil is a lot more precise than with a conventional aftermarket cooler which relies solely on incoming ambient air which if cold overcools the oil and can lead to bearing failure, I think it might be a bumper off job but thats no big deal as on most modern cars its just a skin, I took the one off of our Mito in the summer so could replace a head light, about two hours from start to finish and that was because most of the fixings were rotten.

Steve.