Using Water Now Wont Run Please Help!

ShaneMax

Please Help!

Not long bought an A3 05 Plate dsg. Recently started using a lot of water but not had the time around work to get it checked out, i was on the motorway and had a loss of power. As I came to a stop at the slip road it cut out and wouldn't start again. After sitting for 4 1/2 hours waiting for recovery I had a look under the bonnet and found a split pipe covered in oil [ Guessing turbo pipe ]. so that would explain for the loss of power but now the car still wont run and there is no signs of the head gasket being gone. The car has never overheated when i have had it and i have kept the water/coolant topped up every time the light has came on. Has anyone had anything similar to this and could possible steer me in the right direction as the local garages aren't very trust worthy and money grabbers which don't fully fix the problems.

When you say it won't start do you mean it turns over when cranked by starter motor but will not fire, or do you mean it will not turn over?

The "split pipe covered in oil" is not a lot of help unless you can positively identify it or send a decent photo.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:18 PM, cliffcoggin said:

When you say it won't start do you mean it turns over when cranked by starter motor but will not fire, or do you mean it will not turn over?

The "split pipe covered in oil" is not a lot of help unless you can positively identify it or send a decent photo.

The engine cranks but will not fire, fired once after i broke down for a very short period of time with not response from throttle and very rough. The pipe circled in red is the one with a split in it which i am guessing is a coolant pipe. The green circled pipe is fitted incorrectly which is where the oil is coming from. 

Does any of this give any reasoning for why it wont fire up?

audi a3 8p engine edit.png

Shane.

I am not familiar with that particular engine so I am having to guess a little.

The red ringed pipe, (assuming you mean the black rubber hose, not the corrugated metal clad one,) is probably a coolant pipe and looks to have a sizeable split. If that is where the coolant is coming out it must have sprayed all over the engine, possibly shorting out any number of electrical systems. That alone could be why the engine does not fire.

The green ringed hose looks to be connected to the inlet manifold or plenum chamber. If so it should only have air in it not oil, indicating turbo wear or damage. That oil also may be a factor in the engine not firing by fouling of the plugs.

As I said earlier I am not certain I have identified those parts correctly, so lets wait for confirmation from someone with definite knowledge of the engine.

I have to add that although you may not have had a high temperature showing on the dash, there is a real chance that the engine has actually overheated by running it with inadequate coolant. The lack of circulation means the hot water may not have reached the temperature sensor, leading you to mistakenly believe the temperature was fine. I guess you know the consequences for the engine if that is so.

Anyone else care to chip in with an opinion?

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 1:56 PM, ShaneMax said:
On 3/10/2022 at 1:56 PM, ShaneMax said:

The engine cranks but will not fire, fired once after i broke down for a very short period of time with not response from throttle and very rough. The pipe circled in red is the one with a split in it which i am guessing is a coolant pipe. The green circled pipe is fitted incorrectly which is where the oil is coming from. 

Hi the red circled pipe is a coolant pipe the other green circled pipe is a turbo boost pipe which if leaking/split will make the car run like a bag of nails.

Steve.

• Thanks 1