Starting issue

Unluckyme

OK... Excuse the short hand typing. I'm about done with cars. Hence the username.  Get in it just now to take daughter back to her mum. Starts fine. No lights on the dash. Reverse back, cuts out. Now won't start, telling me to check oil level? 

Also, I will add, car is ridiculously low and there's a part of some electrical loom running that hangs out a little on the driver side. It was intact, but I had to park on some slightly rough ground and the connector block is now ragged open. Could this be the problem? 

Sorry no pics for reference. 

11 minutes ago, Unluckyme said:

OK... Excuse the short hand typing. I'm about done with cars. Hence the username.  Get in it just now to take daughter back to her mum. Starts fine. No lights on the dash. Reverse back, cuts out. Now won't start, telling me to check oil level? 

Also, I will add, car is ridiculously low and there's a part of some electrical loom running that hangs out a little on the driver side. It was intact, but I had to park on some slightly rough ground and the connector block is now ragged open. Could this be the problem? 

Sorry no pics for reference. 

Hi thats probably it as any exposed wiring gets moisture in it and causes all sorts of weird problems, I would also check the oil level just in case, has it been lowered?.

Steve.

2 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi thats probably it as any exposed wiring gets moisture in it and causes all sorts of weird problems, I would also check the oil level just in case, has it been lowered?.

Steve.

She is very low. Was like it when I bought it. Scuffs 99% of speed humps. The wiring is not exposed as such mate, just hanging out a little, but now the connector plug is pulled apart. It won't plug back together either. I'm guessing that was what happened as it started fine, started reversing fine then just stalled. 

I don't even know what that particular part of the loom is for. 

1 minute ago, Unluckyme said:

She is very low. Was like it when I bought it. Scuffs 99% of speed humps. The wiring is not exposed as such mate, just hanging out a little, but now the connector plug is pulled apart. It won't plug back together either. I'm guessing that was what happened as it started fine, started reversing fine then just stalled. 

Hi anything that is disconnected will cause a problem as the whole car is full of CCM modules which talk to each other therefore if one is silent, a break in the circuit the rest of the modules throw a hissy fit and won't work properly, have a look in daylight and see if you can work out which way the connector fits as it can only connect one way and they normally have a strange shaped piece of plastic on the male side that only allows it to push in one way.

Steve.

11 minutes ago, Unluckyme said:

Hi just a thought, is it automatic, if so that could well be a gearbox control loom.

4 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi just a thought, is it automatic, if so that could well be a gearbox control loom.

Thanks for your responses mate. Going a long way to stopping me from losing my !Removed!. 

I should have added really. Manual diesel mate. Poverty spec SE. 

12 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi anything that is disconnected will cause a problem as the whole car is full of CCM modules which talk to each other therefore if one is silent, a break in the circuit the rest of the modules throw a hissy fit and won't work properly, have a look in daylight and see if you can work out which way the connector fits as it can only connect one way and they normally have a strange shaped piece of plastic on the male side that only allows it to push in one way.

Steve.

So, been out and identified this as the connector. It has a part number of 8D0973822. I cannot find for the life of me what it's actually for, however one advertised on eBay labels it as a battery negative connector..? 

IMG_20220327_095905.jpg

Screenshot_20220327_101245_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Hello Stephen,

We take it this damaged plug actually plugs into a counterpart, as opposed to just being open ended - for some other unused component. 
If as we would believe, it’s part of a ‘plug into something else’ then you might find it will be part of the loom, and not a separate part ( although the same type of connector may have been used elsewhere on the car).

Just two wires associated with this plug? If so, why not simply join the two wires to their counterpart?  I would certainly not use crimp type connectors, but solder the  connections and run a length of shrink sleeving to cover and properly insulate the joins. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Unluckyme said:

So, been out and identified this as the connector. It has a part number of 8D0973822. I cannot find for the life of me what it's actually for, however one advertised on ebay labels it as a battery negative connector..? 

IMG_20220327_095905.jpg

Screenshot_20220327_101245_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Hi unfortunately the eBay connector looks different from the original, as asked do you only have the two wires going into the plug? in which case they should be coloured so matching one side to the other should be easy if you go the cut and shut route just make sure the key is nowhere near the car when you do it, just unlock it and leave the car for ten mins to settle before commencing work.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi unfortunately the eBay connector looks different from the original, as asked do you only have the two wires going into the plug? in which case they should be coloured so matching one side to the other should be easy if you go the cut and shut route just make sure the key is nowhere near the car when you do it, just unlock it and leave the car for ten mins to settle before commencing work.

Steve.

Yeah I went the cut and shut route. I'm laughing at the fact I've fixed the issue, but I still don't know what I've actually fixed. Still.... It works so that's good enough for me. Lol

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

How did you join the wires after Stephen?

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I have one of Aldis' finest soldering irons. And then about 10 metres of electrical tape and a cable tie to keep it up to the chassis. 

Sounds good. Worth getting a variety of sizes of shrink sleeving for future use. This can be slid over the cables to be joined - before joining - kept back from the join, then when the joint is completed, it is slid back over the bare wire section, and heated with an hair dryer - at which point it shrinks onto the joint.

Lldls do boxed packs from time to time. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

12 hours ago, Unluckyme said:

I have one of Aldis' finest soldering irons. And then about 10 metres of electrical tape and a cable tie to keep it up to the chassis. 

Hi glad you got it sorted, from the middle of desperation comes a solution, well done.

Steve.