2012 / AVANT ' S-:INE ' / 3.0 TDI - AUTO GEAR BOX PROBLEM - HELP PLEASE ...!! .....DOES ANYONE RECOGNISE THIS ISSUE & KNOW LIKLEY CAUSE & REMEDY .....??

simon gedye

HELLO FROM ' NEW MEMBER ' ,

REFS   :   2012 A6 Avant / ' S-Line '  3.0 TDI  /  Reg No  -  FIB 730

Bit of a long winded story but best you have ' Chapter & Verse ' .  This is my 3rd Audi , the two previous ones  (  A8  & an S8 ) were both essentially bullet- proof & completely reliable save for a  tiny number  of very minor issue's .

MY GEAR BOX PROBLEM :- This  problem  first cropped up 5 - 6 x months back when a small  '  Red Triangle ' followed by the message ' " Gear Box Malfunction  -  You Can Continue Driving -  ( Limited Functionality )  "  came up & you'd have difficulty getting Reverse & also getting , Drive ( & when you did almost always went to D1 & then D2 and would go but wouldn't change up further  than 2nd ) I don't use the car much but quickly found that if I turned the engine ' Off ' and then back ' On ' again and quickly selected ' Reverse ' or ' Drive '  ( seemingly before the car's computer's had the  time to wake  up ..?? ) - that I could then use the car quite normally & the gear box would work perfectly as usual . I was on the point of booking the car into my local villager garage for a  " Look See " when up came the messages  ' Coolant Level Low '  &  ' Washer liquid low '  - so I therefore topped these up straight away as bid etc ... ' BUT '  the very strange thing about this was that whilst seemingly completely un-related , the ' Red  Triangle '  & the ' Warning Message ' disappeared completely after this  & the car functioned completely normally  ( gearbox included ) for the next 5 -  6  x months until last week when they came back  - I did the same as I had previously to try & effect the same ' Cure '  - but no such luck & again sometimes will not select ' Reverse ' &  in ' Drive '  &  will not change up further than - D2  .

I've since taken the car into my local village garage & he had his regular ' Techno / Electrics Man ' go over it & he pulled up 2 x Fault Codes relating to the gear box  - which he cleared . They told me to come & get the car & if the triangle & warning message ( & the problem clearly ) re-occurred - to bring the car back . '  BUT '   Within  2 x miles  &  20 x minutes - it had all come back & so I was back to ' Square One '  .

The ' Fault  Codes  Were  -  P174 D00  &  P173 F00  which they said related to - '  Valve Chest '  & / or -  ' Wiring Faults '  , but to move forward you'd need to know which  specific gearbox is fitted to this car as Audi had fitted 3 - 4 x different boxes to the  ' A6 '  . My village garage is very good but very small & they've said that they aren't really equipped to go any further with this type of gearbox & if I wanted them to continue . then they'd essentially have to farm the job on to someone else  . I don't very much like this idea - hence this note asking for advice & guidance from other Audi owners who may have experienced the same issues as me ...etc...etc .

Any help from anyone - anywhere will be much appreciated . My E.Mail is -  sg@thewalnuthouse.co.uk  -  so please get in touch if you can wise me up & point me in the right direction .

Many Thanks    /   SIMON  .

3 hours ago, simon gedye said:

HELLO FROM ' NEW MEMBER ' ,

REFS   :   2012 A6 Avant / ' S-Line '  3.0 TDI  /  Reg No  -  FIB 730

Bit of a long winded story but best you have ' Chapter & Verse ' .  This is my 3rd Audi , the two previous ones  (  A8  & an S8 ) were both essentially bullet- proof & completely reliable save for a  tiny number  of very minor issue's .

MY GEAR BOX PROBLEM :- This  problem  first cropped up 5 - 6 x months back when a small  '  Red Triangle ' followed by the message ' " Gear Box Malfunction  -  You Can Continue Driving -  ( Limited Functionality )  "  came up & you'd have difficulty getting Reverse & also getting , Drive ( & when you did almost always went to D1 & then D2 and would go but wouldn't change up further  than 2nd ) I don't use the car much but quickly found that if I turned the engine ' Off ' and then back ' On ' again and quickly selected ' Reverse ' or ' Drive '  ( seemingly before the car's computer's had the  time to wake  up ..?? ) - that I could then use the car quite normally & the gear box would work perfectly as usual . I was on the point of booking the car into my local villager garage for a  " Look See " when up came the messages  ' Coolant Level Low '  &  ' Washer liquid low '  - so I therefore topped these up straight away as bid etc ... ' BUT '  the very strange thing about this was that whilst seemingly completely un-related , the ' Red  Triangle '  & the ' Warning Message ' disappeared completely after this  & the car functioned completely normally  ( gearbox included ) for the next 5 -  6  x months until last week when they came back  - I did the same as I had previously to try & effect the same ' Cure '  - but no such luck & again sometimes will not select ' Reverse ' &  in ' Drive '  &  will not change up further than - D2  .

I've since taken the car into my local village garage & he had his regular ' Techno / Electrics Man ' go over it & he pulled up 2 x Fault Codes relating to the gear box  - which he cleared . They told me to come & get the car & if the triangle & warning message ( & the problem clearly ) re-occurred - to bring the car back . '  BUT '   Within  2 x miles  &  20 x minutes - it had all come back & so I was back to ' Square One '  .

The ' Fault  Codes  Were  -  P174 D00  &  P173 F00  which they said related to - '  Valve Chest '  & / or -  ' Wiring Faults '  , but to move forward you'd need to know which  specific gearbox is fitted to this car as Audi had fitted 3 - 4 x different boxes to the  ' A6 '  . My village garage is very good but very small & they've said that they aren't really equipped to go any further with this type of gearbox & if I wanted them to continue . then they'd essentially have to farm the job on to someone else  . I don't very much like this idea - hence this note asking for advice & guidance from other Audi owners who may have experienced the same issues as me ...etc...etc .

Any help from anyone - anywhere will be much appreciated . My E.Mail is -  sg@thewalnuthouse.co.uk  -  so please get in touch if you can wise me up & point me in the right direction .

Many Thanks    /   SIMON  .

Hi try ringing Audi they should be able to tell you which version of box your vehicle is fitted with, your problem could be as simple as it just needs a service its possible the valve block has become gunged up but as you have not provided any milage its difficult to provide a concise analysis but I suspect yours may be Tiptronic.

Steve