Dual mass or solid flywheel

Gus mclean

5 hours ago, Gus mclean said:

Buyin Audi A4 diesel with faulty dual mass flywheel do I replace with same or covert too solid pros and cons please 

Hi Pros, smoother clutch and never having to buy a flywheel again, Cons it will shred the rubber mounted crank damper in record time, possible crank whip which causes big end failure, worse case scenario the crankshaft shatters due to harmonic resonance because at about 2800 rpm the resonance will be at maximum with no DMF to smooth the torque curve it could be terminal. I have witnessed this first hand over the last eighteen years when my fellow cabbies have thought it was a good idea, anyone that tells you this is rubbish is uninformed, think about it, why would the manufacturer spend extra money on a hardened steel flywheel with an intricate float mechanism when they could cut their costs dramatically by fitting a machined one piece unit.

Steve. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 7:08 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi Pros, smoother clutch and never having to buy a flywheel again, Cons it will shred the rubber mounted crank damper in record time, possible crank whip which causes big end failure, worse case scenario the crankshaft shatters due to harmonic resonance because at about 2800 rpm the resonance will be at maximum with no DMF to smooth the torque curve it could be terminal. I have witnessed this first hand over the last eighteen years when my fellow cabbies have thought it was a good idea, anyone that tells you this is rubbish is uninformed, think about it, why would the manufacturer spend extra money on a hardened steel flywheel with an intricate float mechanism when they could cut their costs dramatically by fitting a machined one piece unit.

Steve. 

Nailed it again!