Hi,

I have a 2016 Audi a3. I have recently installed a new battery myself to replace my old one. I saw on online forums that new batteries need to be coded for the car to recognize them and adapt the charging cycle/level accordingly.

It seems to me that the most appropriate way to enter the new battery details is through obdeleven Pro. The issue is that I would want to avoid paying for the unit which costs more than the battery itself, especially that I hardly drive my car 1000 miles per year. Can someone kindly advise if they know of a cheaper way to apply the coding than buying the obdeleven Pro unit?

Thanks 

21 hours ago, Mike778 said:

Hi,

I have a 2016 Audi a3. I have recently installed a new battery myself to replace my old one. I saw on online forums that new batteries need to be coded for the car to recognize them and adapt the charging cycle/level accordingly.

It seems to me that the most appropriate way to enter the new battery details is through obdeleven Pro. The issue is that I would want to avoid paying for the unit which costs more than the battery itself, especially that I hardly drive my car 1000 miles per year. Can someone kindly advise if they know of a cheaper way to apply the coding than buying the obdeleven Pro unit?

Thanks 

The other option would be to take it to a garage for them to do it. But you'd be looking £50. 

Hello Mufid,

Personally, I’m not a fan of the ‘cheapest way of doing it’ maintenance arrangements, since such things usually work out to cost more in the long run! ‘Once and wisely’ is my slant on it. 
I guess you have weighed up the cost advantages/ disadvantages of buying the equipment to DIY it, against getting it done, and have worked out it’s not economical to DIY it, so it’s down to having to get it done. 
OK, so around £50 to spend at an independent - that works out at about 30p/week over the anticipated life of the battery. Seems cheap enough to me to get the car as it should and must be.

Kind regards,

Gareth.