2022 S4 Start-Stop

Vern0207

Morning All,

I have a new 2022 S4 Avant which I was took delivery of on 3 May 22 with 10 delivery miles on the clock.

I have now since then put 900 miles on it and the Stop-start has not worked once. There is no faults or warnings the system is just not available.

It went back to Audi because the battery was only charged at 80% which also prevents the system working.

However I have been contacted by Audi saying my car left the factory without the soft ware for the SS system and an update needs to be done. Which it’s going in for on 13 Jun 22.

Surely by putting the 10 miles on the car they should have noticed that the SS was not working?

anybody else have issues with the SS on their S4.
Note: my car was built the first quarter of March 22 and arrived in the UK just before Easter. 

Hello Werner, 

Sorry to hear that the necessary software was not installed prior to taking delivery, but at least you now know why it’s not working, and have an imminent date for it to be rectified, so there’s now some positive news which will hopefully sort it all out. Of course, the situation disappoints, but sorted it will be. 

My personal (non environmental!) view is that I would be clapping my hands that it isn’t working. The maximum stress and wear with an engine is on start up, so the less start ups the better. With either belts or chain driven camshafts, the load on the chain or belt will be increased at every start up. Just not for me, and my non-Audi has it fitted, and I have to re- isolate this ‘facility’ every time I switch off. 
A family member has a different model from the same manufacturer, and now finds that the chain needs to be replaced at less than 50k miles - a job that will cost £2,200 to sort, before the chain decides to jump a few teeth and wreck the engine to the tune of a >£11k bill for a replacement engine. That vehicle has run on SS throughout its 6 year life. 
Still, we are all different, and SS can be seen as either an additional ‘toy’ or a pain in the proverbial. You take your choice. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 month later...

I have an a3 35tfsi saloon auto I got new March 22. ‘ and the s s has never worked taken back to dealer was told nothing wrong with it ? 
test drive showed it working 

until I turn heater on then it doesn’t work even without the fan and a/c is this normal ? 

Hello Mick, 

If this barely 4 month old car is equipped with stop/start, and it doesn’t always work, then there is certainly something wrong, and a/any dealer must correct the fault under warranty. 
Sounds as if this is a classic case of an ailing battery. May sound daft on a 4 month old car, but these cars can be sitting around for months before being registered, and battery inactivity is not good news. 

What would best describe your typical journey, and how often do you make these journeys? 
The answer may explain why it doesn’t always work.

Perhaps you could let us know. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth  car  has covered 3000 miles since new with Kent to Devon and back a couple of weeks ago 

dealer had the car for a day and said it's ok can't find anything wrong with it we got it back and drove home with s s working they had turned off the heater ,cooling switch and as soon has we turned it back on only on lo for ventilation s s stopped working again 

im not a lover of s s but im sure it should work all the time ,as have all my previous cars 

Many thanks Mick. 
That sort of run would ensure the battery is as fully charged as it can be - subject to correct alternator output and all battery monitored parameters satisfying the required outputs. 
An ‘ordinary’ battery efficiency test is unlikely to positively confirm that the battery is in good health, unless it monitors cold cranking currents and other aspects. 
So, if it were mine:- find another dealer and book this in, with a clear description of the issue, and when it manifests itself. When you go to pick it up, (and they might not find anything wrong either) then ensure you/they demonstrate it’s fine with the heater on! - if they claim it is OK. Of course, it could be an issue with the heater control, but… eliminate the simple things first. 
Not a fan of S/S. I’m not the only one then! I’ve got to remember to switch mine off on every trip on our non-Audi. 
Good luck with getting it sorted.

Kind regards,

Gareth.