Engine Oil Recommendations

cdavis93

hi charles, i use liqui moly all the time as im told its a very good oil,i think a good quality oil and regular servicing saves a lot of money in the long run,greg.

16 hours ago, cdavis93 said:

Anyone here ever used liqui moly engine oil before? I was looking at some coilovers on ml performance and seems like they are doing a good deal on these so thought that I could get them in one go

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/products/liqui-moly-top-tec-4200-5w-30-5-l

Yeah, agreed with Greg - don't leave it till the last minute before you do your engine oil service!

Check your owner's manual for your oil approval - ideally, the new engine oil should have the same approval as that. Liqui Moly, Castrol, Shell etc are all fantastic brands to go with!

That being said on Project Farm they did a test and Liqui Moly fared no better than Amazon Basics so that's food for thought.. 

Hello Charles,

For what it’s worth:- I’ve always stuck with Quantum oil, which is/was VAG’s  recommended brand. Despite changing the oil every year, even though only c7K miles covered, I always use their Longlife 3 variant. 167k now covered in the family A3. There are many competitively priced sellers on eBay
DIY - labour free- is great, so I always ‘invest’ the savings on best brands at most competitive prices. For me, filters will always be Mann or Bosch. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

11 hours ago, coupe4 said:

hi charles, i use liqui moly all the time as im told its a very good oil,i think a good quality oil and regular servicing saves a lot of money in the long run,greg.

Hi Greg, thanks for sharing. I've heard great things about liqui moly too, thought I'd give it a go this time round!

2 hours ago, Apollo11 said:

Yeah, agreed with Greg - don't leave it till the last minute before you do your engine oil service!

Check your owner's manual for your oil approval - ideally, the new engine oil should have the same approval as that. Liqui Moly, Castrol, Shell etc are all fantastic brands to go with!

That being said on Project Farm they did a test and Liqui Moly fared no better than Amazon Basics so that's food for thought.. 

Thanks Graham, yeah I know some people say brands doesn't really matter, some not so popular brands might even perform better but I'm still a little worried... Don't want to risk it so most probably sticking with the well-known brands! 

36 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Charles,

For what it’s worth:- I’ve always stuck with Quantum oil, which is/was VAG’s  recommended brand. Despite changing the oil every year, even though only c7K miles covered, I always use their Longlife 3 variant. 167k now covered in the family A3. There are many competitively priced sellers on EBay. 
DIY - labour free- is great, so I always ‘invest’ the savings on best brands at most competitive prices. For me, filters will always be Mann or Bosch. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth! Thanks for sharing, it does seem slightly cheaper than liqui moly, I'll check this out!

Hello Charles,

Bit confused ‘….liquid moly …..I’ll give it a go’ . Then ‘….don’t want to risk it………will stick with well know brands’. 
Is Liquid Moly that well known brand a brand? Who makes it? 
Quantum (was Castrol) is/was VAG’s recommended - you say ‘slightly cheaper than Liquid Moly’. Correct/recommended oil cheaper - can’t really see where the debate is about what to use, but of course, it’s always down to personal choice. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 7/15/2022 at 7:05 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Charles,

Bit confused ‘….liquid moly …..I’ll give it a go’ . Then ‘….don’t want to risk it………will stick with well know brands’. 
Is Liquid Moly that well known brand a brand? Who makes it? 
Quantum (was Castrol) is/was VAG’s recommended - you say ‘slightly cheaper than Liquid Moly’. Correct/recommended oil cheaper - can’t really see where the debate is about what to use, but of course, it’s always down to personal choice. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Is Liqui Moly not a well known brand? 😂 I see them everywhere on F1, or maybe it's just that they have a huge marketing budget...