Coolant puddle on top of gearbox

Hi guy's hope all safe and well. Our 2009 a3 2.0t (ea888) quattro seems to be loosing a small amount of coolant over a week or so. I've noticed a small puddle on top of the gearbox which I assume is coming from the thermostat housing or pipework. But I can't feel any wetness directly above the gearbox. Maybe only leaks when cooled down? Is this a common area for leaks does anyone know before I start tearing it down? 

All the best. 

Craig.

Are you sure it is coolant, not screen wash fluid or brake fluid? Coolant leaks are normally worse when hot because the pressure increases. How much is the level dropping in the coolant header tank over a week?

Hi cliff it's definitely red coolant (sweet to the taste) we've had the coolant level display on dash sometimes after a week or so. Level drops just below min level to trigger the alarm. Theres a small puddle right at the top of the gearbox that dries up so muxy be something around the thermostat/heater hoses. I have once noticed a small puddle on the ground nearer the front of engine so could also be radiator related possibly. I'm going to remove the air box etc.  To get a closer look. 

Hello Craig, 

Thanks for being touch. 
Fortunately, you have self-traced the possible leak site, which is a break-through, since I’m sure you will appreciate that trying to locate possible sites without having the vehicle to examine, will border an impossibility. 
‘Common leak site’? ( so experience can be given) - unlikely, so unfortunately, I think you are right in this case by simply batting on until you narrow this down to the actual location on your particular car. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 weeks later...