Strange noise

Ginge-In-Denial

Hey all, anyone know what this weird sound is?  I think it's coming from the left hand side of the engine, possibly timing belt.  I have had the clutch and flywheel replaced 150 miles ago so is it maybe a clutch bedding in sound?

A3 2004 2.0 FSi

https://youtube.com/shorts/GMrjUc7RA4E?feature=share

21 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Possibly the cam belt tensioner flopping around. How many miles since the cam belt was renewed?

Or is it a chain drive?

I honestly don't know when the cam belt was last done.  I think after the cash I've spent on its mot, clutch and flywheel I would be silly not to get the belt done.  Good shout fella, thanks. 👍👍👍

On 8/10/2022 at 9:58 PM, Ginge-In-Denial said:

Hey all, anyone know what this weird sound is?  I think it's coming from the left hand side of the engine, possibly timing belt.  I have had the clutch and flywheel replaced 150 miles ago so is it maybe a clutch bedding in sound?

A3 2004 2.0 FSi

https://youtube.com/shorts/GMrjUc7RA4E?feature=share

Was the fly wheel expensive to replace? 

2 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Whether it is a belt or a chain it needs to be looked at. If it fails it could wreck your engine.

Yeah it's in at the garage now.  I'm sure it's a belt and an interference engine so I'm not wanting to have a gubbed engine. 👍

1 hour ago, Brizzle said:

Was the fly wheel expensive to replace? 

The garages were quoting me £1000 to £1200 for a dual mass replacement but there is a chap locally that only does clutches and gave me the option of a single mass conversion along with the clutch all new supplied and fitted for £480.  Honestly I've not noticed any difference with the single mass conversion.  Hope this helps fella.

43 minutes ago, Ginge-In-Denial said:

The garages were quoting me £1000 to £1200 for a dual mass replacement but there is a chap locally that only does clutches and gave me the option of a single mass conversion along with the clutch all new supplied and fitted for £480.  Honestly I've not noticed any difference with the single mass conversion.  Hope this helps fella.

Cheers 

Just get the feeling mine might need doing at some point as when I put my foot down, with windows open can hear a noise for first few seconds