Random Steering, TMS, Tire Pressure Monitor & EPS errors?

Pauls898

Hi, Im experiencing Random Steering angle, TMS, Tire Pressure Monitor errors with lights coming on dash with loud beeping? It seems to happen when I turn the steering wheel as reversing out my drive? When it happened today I was doing a left turn at a junction, all these lights came on and once I had joined the main road to drive straight my steering wheel was at a really odd 45 degrees of centre while driving straight ahead? How on earth can this happen? surely the steering column and shaft is mechanically connected to the steering? How can it suddenly move by 45 degrees. At the traffic light I turned off ignition and re-started engine while moving away slowly I turned my steering wheel from lock to lock to centre it then it was back to a normal position? Can anyone please explain how this can happen? Could it be an issues with my clock spring? still can't work out how the steering wheel can get so far out of alignment? very odd. I did notice while re-starting my engine a message briefly displayed saying Dynamic steering initializing? So I expect module was rebooting? but why what's going on?

Audi A4 3.0TDI Q SE Lava Grey + B&O, Audi Drive Select, Sports Seats, Sun Roof, DVD Sat Nav Plus, Blue Tooth Phone Prep, Audi Hill Assist, Rear Parking Aid, Electric Seats, Light Pack, Audi Audio Interface, MMI.

Hello Paul,

It wouldn’t surprise me that these issues are battery efficiency associated ( or possibly alternator if battery proves to be completely serviceable).

How old is the battery? 
If it were mine, I would take the car on at least a 10 mile run, and get the battery efficiency checked - Halford should be able to do it, but would I buy a battery there, rather than buying a 5 year warranty one on- line probably cheaper? On the plus side, they will fit it and should ( but first check) be able to code the new one to the car - which will possibly need doing - but not certain on your 13 year old car. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for this, I'll clear the codes and reset the steering angle and I'll try and see if using live data that the steering sensor is indeed given me sensible readings as this all started happening after I removed the steering wheel and clock spring to fix an issue with the wipers stork? through it's been fine for 2 years? maybe it's just gone out of calibration ?

I can't see it being the battery? as I had just driven 30 miles with no issues it happened again when I was turning Right again but had the steering on full lock to turn into my driveway at low speed. I'm wondering whether the steering angle has gone out of calibration and then on extreme tight turns it flags up these errors? Will scan it tomorrow and get the codes and maybe try to reset the steering angle settings?

Fair enough Paul, but ‘…….I can’t see it’s the battery….’ OK, but turning on full lock into your drive puts maximum stress on the ( electric) power steering. Of course, your call, I wouldn’t be looking any further until I had confirmed the battery was fully serviceable - from the school of eliminate the simple things first. 
Just think about it - you mention TPMS light on as well. 
As I say, your call, and others might refute or support this first principle check. 
Kind regards,

Gareth, 

But it's not electric power steering on my car, it's run by a pump off the aux belt? I'll stick a voltmeter on the 12 volts and monitor that too but first i'll scan for error codes and see what it's reporting as faulty? But thanks for your input on this one.

Many thanks Paul,

Lesson learnt! Why were Audi using ‘electric power’ steering on so many models around that time and beyond, yet yours is the old fashioned hydraulic? 
Apologies for the assumption. 
Could indeed be the steering angle sensor.

TPMS etc. Lights? Were the tyre pressures low at the time, or was this a false indication? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.