A6 c5 cd error fix

Steve Q

Thought I’d share a quick post. If anyone ever gets Error 3 on the CD interchanger of their Audi C5, it’s a 2 min fix.

Take radio out
Undo the 2 golden screws on the top side of the unit
Lift top cover (the factory warranty void sticker will be cut as you lift the cover)
You will see all the CD’s as a tower but one of the CD’s will be out of line.
Gently tap the CD in line and done

You’ll hear a click and a spring will bounce off and fit everything back in.

Every person I asked said I need a new unit until I found an old thread online, thought I’d share this.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

On 1/17/2023 at 11:13 PM, Lawl said:

Hi Steve,I take it it’s for the radio itself and not the cd changer mines playing up,intermittent problem 

Good question. When I had a similar issue with mine it fixed itself after the battery got disconnected whilst other works were being carried out. 

Not tried it since I disconnected battery to get to the drain hole underneath it,which still had the rubber grommet with the round hard plastic bit on it removed that put grommet back in,I’ve got cd changer in garage just now to open it up to check it for anything obvious that’s up,might put it back together and try it to see if better since the battery disconnect,what can I say thanks again

13 hours ago, Lawl said:

Not tried it since I disconnected battery to get to the drain hole underneath it,which still had the rubber grommet with the round hard plastic bit on it removed that put grommet back in,I’ve got cd changer in garage just now to open it up to check it for anything obvious that’s up,might put it back together and try it to see if better since the battery disconnect,what can I say thanks again

No probs at all. Yea you might find it just starts working again as it did for me 

Took it apart and looks like a small white plastic part was jammed a bit,the bit that takes cd from holder ,fitted back in but not checked yet,old school I like having cds don’t do technology that we’ll ever since,cheers 

46 minutes ago, Lawl said:

Took it apart and looks like a small white plastic part was jammed a bit,the bit that takes cd from holder ,fitted back in but not checked yet,old school I like having cds don’t do technology that we’ll ever since,cheers 

I'm the same, still old school. Would like Bluetooth though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking about Bluetooth also,not for phone calls but so wife can listen to music other than cds,so might bring that side of car into 21st Century,would add front and rear cameras at the same time,would get one though that still plays cds

On 2/2/2023 at 2:27 PM, Lawl said:

Was thinking about Bluetooth also,not for phone calls but so wife can listen to music other than cds,so might bring that side of car into 21st Century,would add front and rear cameras at the same time,would get one though that still plays cds

Think you can get Bluetooth adapters that plug into the back of the unit 

I’ve seen those bit of hit and miss though,with mine being the rns-jp there is only three solid connectors at back where the adapter has a small plug with 4 ,pins on it,I think some of the radios have connections that have 3 of them in a row separately so you can disconnect 1 and replace with the adapter,unfortunately not this one 

So will need to start looking at radios now,might need to de -pin some connections around to fit whatever radio I get,that’s easy enough 

Sorry m8 just seen this,yeah that’s what I was thinking,there’s a few of them one that fits directly in place of the original and one that is bigger but it takes away original trim round the cup holder and hazard switch and replaces it with a black trim,just need to sort out what cables are what ,there’s 3 fakra (if that’s what there called) at back of radio,a long block connecting next to them,and the main block connector 

7 hours ago, Lawl said:

Sorry m8 just seen this,yeah that’s what I was thinking,there’s a few of them one that fits directly in place of the original and one that is bigger but it takes away original trim round the cup holder and hazard switch and replaces it with a black trim,just need to sort out what cables are what ,there’s 3 fakra (if that’s what there called) at back of radio,a long block connecting next to them,and the main block connector 

Keep us posted on how you get on 🙂