Alloys size Vs comfort

Aineias

Hi Everyone,I hope you are well,

I recently bought an Audi Q2 2017 S line,

It came with 18 alloy wheels and the ride isn't very comfortable even in the comfort drive mode, 

The car now has Turanza t0001 215/50/18 92w, 

I was wondering how much of a different will make a switch to 17 alloy wheels ? 

Or maybe to switch to different type brand if Bridgestone is considered not comfortable, and keep the same alloys? 

Has anyone done the same, is there a significant difference? 

Looking forward to hearing your opinion,

Thank you 

Aineias 

PXL_20221016_160232688.jpg

Hello Aineias,

Thanks for joining and posting your plea.

I’m not sure how much of this is going to help:- but…

S Line has sports suspension so will have an inherently harsher ride, and will be biased towards road holding rather than comfort. As I see it  - and I could be wrong - this package comes with equipment that is attractive/ appeals, but the package has a compromised ride quality if comfort is your bag. 

18 inch wheels are ‘mild’, and should give as near to ‘best for specification’ ride as possible, so down sizing to 17 inch may still not show you significant improvement, since you now have a rather generous 50 profile set up. That profile will have to increase if you downsize to 17 inch, and you may find it difficult to find tyres of a bigger profile than 50 anyway. 
Were 17 inch wheels a specified option for your vehicle? Handbook should clarify. 

Questions re. existing tyres - Are they ‘extra load’. (XL) tyres? If so, the sidewalls can be harder than non-XL.

Are these tyres ‘Run Flat’ by any chance? Again adverse affect on ride quality due to sidewall strength.

Perhaps you could come back to us.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Thanks 1

Hi and thank you for taking the time to answer, 

I have just checked, and I can't fit 17 alloys on this model, therefore I have to stick with the ones I have. Also the tires aren't XL and either run flat 

My only option to get a bit more comfort seems to be changing to Micheline tires, which seems to be less noisy and more comfortable, from the reviews I read.

Thanks Aineias, 

Changing to Michelin might help a bit, but pessimistically, I believe you are suffering from the S Line specification’s characteristics, and any (if any) improvement, could be marginal. Worth a try if you have to renew your tyres. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1