High Mileage ZF Transmission Service

BTN - A7

Hi all

Just joined this forum. I recently purchased an Audi A7 Bitdi 13 plate with 125k miles. I'm looking at doing the gearbox service and ready to go ahead but reading online there's a difference in opinions on doing them on high mileage cars. If the trans has never had a service, it could cause clutch slipping.

The previous owner said its been done but no paperwork so looking to do it. Has anyone done the gearbox service at high miles without having an issues afterwards? Whats the highest miles anyone's done the gearbox service?

The gears change very smooth currently at just over 1k rpm. So not sure if it's worth doing or not?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

2 hours ago, BTN - A7 said:

Hi all

Just joined this forum. I recently purchased an Audi A7 Bitdi 13 plate with 125k miles. I'm looking at doing the gearbox service and ready to go ahead but reading online there's a difference in opinions on doing them on high mileage cars. If the trans has never had a service, it could cause clutch slipping.

The previous owner said its been done but no paperwork so looking to do it. Has anyone done the gearbox service at high miles without having an issues afterwards? Whats the highest miles anyone's done the gearbox service?

The gears change very smooth currently at just over 1k rpm. So not sure if it's worth doing or not?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi can't see it will cause slipping as burnt oil will cause far more wear problems than fresh oil and new filters, provided you use a good quality filter kit and oil I can't see the problem the only time I have seen that happen was when some zoon used the wrong grade oil.

2 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi can't see it will cause slipping as burnt oil will cause far more wear problems than fresh oil and new filters, provided you use a good quality filter kit and oil I can't see the problem the only time I have seen that happen was when some zoon used the wrong grade oil.

From what I've read and seen online the clutch plate deteriorates and the particles from the plate in the oil help with the friction. New oil won't have the particles so clutch slips.. not sure how true that is.

Yh I'm looking at genuine ZF kit to service it.

20 hours ago, BTN - A7 said:

From what I've read and seen online the clutch plate deteriorates and the particles from the plate in the oil help with the friction. New oil won't have the particles so clutch slips.. not sure how true that is.

Yh I'm looking at genuine ZF kit to service it.

Hi why would anyone build a gearbox that relied on crud in the oil to help it work, biggest hole in that theory is that has anyone thought about what the filters do in the box, yes they stop 99percent of contaminants and its when they become blocked and the pressure starts passing larger volumes of matter through the filter that you have problems, if the clutch slips after a gearbox service the plate was already knackered.

Steve.