Ticking noise when engine running idle

DKicks

Hi,
Anyone any experience of this loud ticking noise when the engine is idle? It goes away once you increase the revs. Not sure if it's the norm for the A6 or if there's an actual issue. 
I'd be interested to hear of people's experiences.
Audi A6 2013 2lt TDI Black Edition 
Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have this exact same noise on A6 C7 2.0tdi S line. It hasn’t always done it only recently. Did you find the cause?

I work away and can’t look at it until I get home. May have to send the wife to the garage with it. 

No not found the issue. Mine only started with the cold mornings setting in. It only happens on first start up of tge day. I can turn the car on, leave it to run so it warms the car up and the noise goes once warm. As I say it also goes away once driven and doesn't come back until the first start of the day on a cold morning.

I've read a few things about possible belt tensioner issues and also how over time the tensioner belt can stretch which could cause vibration. Belts tend to stretch between 80000 to 100000.

That's as far as my investigation has gone so far although I did take it in for its MOT which was a pass, noise wasn't present but I obviously asked the questions and showed the above video but they just said to monitor it.

Edited by DKicks

4 hours ago, Magnet said:

Possibly hydraulic tapper?? ( although not opened the link to the video).

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

probs oil cold at first start up my quattros did that  to   but can be sticky tappet    kev

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

Wow! From the description I was expecting a slow, quiet, rythmic tick-tick-tick once per cycle of the engine (two revolutions or so) that would signify maybe one or two hydraulic tappets having failed seals or something similar - wearing headphones (turned up too high) what I heard was a Pneumatic Hammer (like they use in Road Works) in comparison! That's a far more regular, and louder sound... I'm not familiar with the 2 litre four-pot Audi engines - though I did have a similar but quieter sound from a Ford Mondeo engine which turned out to be a stretched (as not changed when it should have been!) timing belt that effectively had delayed the timing just slightly causing the valves and pistons to kiss gently - minor marks but no bending in my case - but that was a petrol engine.

Without trying to scaremonger or cause undue concern - as I said I'm new to Audi engines - that volume and rapid rythm would have me scurrying off to a garage to get it looked at, or at least an opinion given... It could simply be a bearing on one of the belt guide wheels, or the Alternator, or something loose, or similar... But it also could be far more serious. Best to get it looked at sooner rather than later...?

Just my thoughts - not an expert.

Best Regards,

Tigger

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I have had the same problem on my Audi A6 2LTR. C7 2015 diesel. My local garage pushed the serpentine belt tensioner back a little and the noise stopped so they fitted a new tensioner. All good and quiet. However they did not replace the belt as there   was only 50000 miles on the clock. Apparently they should have done as approx.. 6 months later the noise is back. So back to the garage for al least a new belt not sure at this stage if I need a new tensioner. This appears to be a common problem with this TDI engine. You should be a ble to tell right away that the noise is coming from the front of the engine.  Hope this is of some help.       Dave R.

17 minutes ago, Dave R. said:

Hi all. I have had the same problem on my Audi A6 2LTR. C7 2015 diesel. My local garage pushed the serpentine belt tensioner back a little and the noise stopped so they fitted a new tensioner. All good and quiet. However they did not replace the belt as there   was only 50000 miles on the clock. Apparently they should have done as approx.. 6 months later the noise is back. So back to the garage for al least a new belt not sure at this stage if I need a new tensioner. This appears to be a common problem with this TDI engine. You should be a ble to tell right away that the noise is coming from the front of the engine.  Hope this is of some help.       Dave R.

Glad you've found the cause. Very useful info for fellow members 🙂