Power steering fault

davemarsh1984

My 2014 1.6tdi power steering has gone heavy and the yellow steering wheel light has come on the dash. AA have been out and said there is no fault codes on the machine and it needs to go into a garage, which I'm struggling to find one to fit me in. Has anyone any ideas or had this problem? If so was it cheap enough to fix? 

Many thanks for your help and time! 

Hello David, 

I take it your car is fitted with electrically assistance P.S. -?

If so, the first port of call would be battery efficiency. Well worth that checked getting before moving on. Also worth getting the alternator output checked at the same time. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

6 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello David, 

I take it your car is fitted with electrically assistance P.S. -?

If so, the first port of call would be battery efficiency. Well worth that checked getting before moving on. Also worth getting the alternator output checked at the same time. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth. 

Yes the A1 is electrically assistance P.S. 

The AA mechanic checked the battery and said all was OK. Didn't check the alternator. 

Car is currently in the garage. Hopefully not too expensive, but I'll put up an update later on. 

Cheers, 

Dave

Hello Dave,

Depends how sophisticated the AA’s battery efficiency tester was. The fact that they didn’t check the alternator output at the same time might not bode too well. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

28 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Dave,

Depends how sophisticated the AA’s battery efficiency tester was. The fact that they didn’t check the alternator output at the same time might not bode too well. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Just been to the garage. All the terminals have got wet and corroded badly. Garage is trying to clean the terminals and dry out the unit. If not it will be a new power steering unit 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I noticed a small link fuse under the bonnet at front of car where the power wires are had blown I changed that this morning hoping it was the issue but light still on. The garage checked the battery yesterday and found it all ok again never checked the alternator. The computer came out with no comms issue so thinking it’s electrical the fact it suddenly just came on without any mechanical knocks or bangs suggests more electrical. The car is in limp mode atm due to the DPF filter clogged so I’m not sure if that could relate to it in some way.