Timing chain

Trojan85

I believe that my timing chain guides are worn but I am not 100% sure. I have a tapping noise when accelerating. The more revs, the worse the sound gets.

Does anyone here know how many hours in labour it takes to install a new timing chain kit? I figured that I might as well change the lot rather than just one or 2 parts. The kits £250-£300 but I don't know how long the job takes at around £45ph.

Any advice would be much appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

Have a look at the Vagtechnic youtube channel.

They have done plenty of timing chain replacements.

There is an issue with the VAG (not sure if it's Audi specific) TFSI engines (prior to 2019), where the timing chain, rocker arms (specifically the pins), timing chain guides and tensioner have issues.

The pins in the rocker arms, the timing chain and tensioner have since been upgraded and you should replace the whole lot otherwise you run risk of catastrophic engine damage.

If you are hearing noises as you described, then I would seriously suggest not revving the car too hard and get the timing chain work done asap.

I have to say, from previously owning a Peugeot 406 coupe, I thought Audi were supposed to be a step up in build quality, but the Peugeot was like a tank.

I'm 2 years of owning my A5 sportback (2018 B9), the temperate flap motor for the climate control, brake pressure sensor and rear led cluster has failed (costing around £700 to fix), and my obd scanner is picking up faults with a couple of climate control flap malfunctioning! I've barely driven 3k miles in 2 years!

I'm not impressed with Audi at all!