No brake pedal after changing brake doscs and pads

Tony Barnes

Go to solution Solved by Stevey Y,

2008 2.7 Le Mans S Line

after some help please, did the service on my car yesturday and no problems at all, but i did notice that all the discs were looking well worn, so today i have changed all four discs and pads, only problems i had were the little grub screw that holds the disc on had no grip on them, some one had over tightened them and took out the hex pattern, all four had to be drildes out and replaced, other than that no problems, reset the park brake using my ICarsoft, then i went for a drive...... two imeadiate problems.

1) - absolutley no brake pedal on the first push... works fine on the second push, drove a bit further and the sme thing happened again......... any advice please?

2) - No ESP, see handbook warning light, i am assuming this will go off after a few miles of driving it? but again any thoughts please?

thanks Tony

• Solution
5 hours ago, Tony Barnes said:

2008 2.7 Le Mans S Line

after some help please, did the service on my car yesturday and no problems at all, but i did notice that all the discs were looking well worn, so today i have changed all four discs and pads, only problems i had were the little grub screw that holds the disc on had no grip on them, some one had over tightened them and took out the hex pattern, all four had to be drildes out and replaced, other than that no problems, reset the park brake using my ICarsoft, then i went for a drive...... two imeadiate problems.

1) - absolutley no brake pedal on the first push... works fine on the second push, drove a bit further and the sme thing happened again......... any advice please?

2) - No ESP, see handbook warning light, i am assuming this will go off after a few miles of driving it? but again any thoughts please?

thanks Tony

Hi you won't get a pedal on the first push as the pistons have been retracted hydraulically and need to return to their protocol positions, other than that bleed the system, you should always stamp on the pedal a couple of times after brake work to prime the system preferably before driving the car, no ESP could be you have disturbed a wheel sensor.

Steve.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony Barnes said:

Had to bleed the whole system through before I could get a pedal, not a single air bubble but it worked after bleeding.

Hi Tony glad its sorted, you won't necessarily get bulbs as often the effect you got is caused by bad fluid that is well past its sell by date, brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it absorbs water via the master cylinder cap vent and needs to be changed every 30k or two years this clears all the debris from the ABS seals and any water, I always use Comma ESP it isn't cheap but its very good and contains a corrosion inhibitor which helps stop the pistons seizing in the callipers Steve.

• Like 1