Audi A6 c5 manual conversion

Rick81

Hi I've got an automatic 04 Audi allroad Bi turbo Im looking into the manual swap. Can I use a 5 spd and with what flywheel and clutch is used etc . Diff , propshaft ?

Kind regards

Rick

One of the reasons manufacturers used a torque converter auto with high power engines is that the manuals and twin clutch boxes just cant handle the power, the box becomes the weakest link in the drivetrain.

So id think carefully before doing this, the auto boxes are reliable if previous owners have been religious about the 40k oil changes, if not, the box fails, often around 80-100k miles, sooner if they have a heavy right foot.

May I ask why you are looking to change it over?

I put a Ford Cosworth Granada 3.0 v6 - ( about 240 bhp) into a sierra many years ago, (common mod at the time to replace the standard Ford 3.0 v6 - about 150bhp), auto only in the Granada, manual boxes used with it in the sierra never lasted more than about 6 months, even the steel cased high power custom built ones, costing around £5k

so I just bought cheap 2nd hand boxes for £50 and swapped them out when they fell apart! Being RWD or 4WD, swapping was an easy job even on the drive!

I'm from the UK moved to new Zealand. Here alot is automatic cars and the automatic transmissions carnt keep up . It's the weak link in the car here. You pay lots of money if you want a manual. I've always driven a manual and prefer that 

I understand, I was very concerned when the car I really wanted only came with an auto box, always had manuals up to then.

but all Audi autos need regular oil (& filter on some) changes.

the S-Tronic (twin auto clutch ‘manual’ box), need both lubrication and hydraulic oils replacing routinely.

A lot of owners never had the oil replaced as it’s not cheap, but means that buying 2nd hand can be a real lottery to find a good one.

Not sure if they do a bi-turbo A4 here, just the A6 Allroad with that engine and that’s auto only (Tiptronic, torque convertor auto box).

so nothing to directly compare with sadly.

Sounds good, I had one of the old V8 allroads, the 1st model, 98-2005, that was a nice engine, I loved that car, had it nearly 5 years. Solid engine except for the timing chains, 4 chains, all on the back of engine, if you had a timing chain problem, it required the engine to come out to fix it.  £6k job!

luckily I avoided that!