Engine Covers serve any purpose?

GranolaTTS

Do the Engine Covers on Audi 2.0 TSFI models serve any purpose, except keeping extra heat inside the engine bay. 

Don't care about how it looks or supposed noise insulation. 

Anyone have experience with removing it for a number of years? Just think its kinda pointless piece of extra weight... 

Presumably it might protect something from water, but doesn't the hood do that anyway. My prev car had bonnet scoop, so it actually made sense as it protected the ignition coils from water that might enter via top mounted intercooler. (I replaced the plastic one with a piece of laser cut & folded aluminum)

Thanks! 

Hello Granola, 

‘….pointless piece of extra weight’. If you are talking the moulded plastic cover, then removing it is likely to reduce the overall weight by about the same as not carrying half a cup of coffee in the cup holder. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Tks for response, I understand your view which makes sense for 99% of people. 

And it's about 1/2KG so quite significant from a weight weight weenies perspective😁  And throwing a piece of plastic in the workshop is a lot cheaper than buying some Aluminum control arms for £600 to save 4KG 😅 Or replacing the Aluminum Bonnet for Carbon Fibre etc etc. 

Best,

G  

Um, 1/2Kg = just over 1lb in old English. I would be tempted to leave my pullover in the draw rather than on the back seat, and keep the engine cover where it belongs. 
You are not having us on- are you Granola? 

Maybe I'm on the wrong forum, I should be posting on a Track Car Forum or someplace else!!! sorry, but the question is a serious one. 

I was hoping for an answer like "I've been running my S3 without a cover for 5 years without any issues...." 😂 "Or keep it on, because of XYZ reasons" 

Of course I understand that 1KG makes no difference to your average Joe in a TDI A4 or something, but for an occasional track build losing a race by .000023 of a second is due to minor excess weight is still losing the race..

For example their might be 20 small weight savings adding up to something significant like 25kg. If you just fobbed each one off as insignificant then you still might not get the time you want...  but it would increase the probability by x.% amount.

I removed the rear seats out of my previous build and it saved a massive 60KG, everything adds up even the small bits. This is especially important if you add weight but upgrading a particular part like adding 2kg with adjustable camber arms, which will increase grip for certain setups but also have potential to add undesired weight. 

Nevermind😅😅😅

Thanks Granola. Explanation is everything, and now we know the reason why saving any accumulated weight adds up to a meaningful question, then it’s now perfectly clear - which unfortunately it wasn’t before. 
Please accept my apologies - yesterday was a funny day with your post following one where the car was haunted! It all colours the day. 
Back to your question:- I would anticipate that folks on this forum are unlikely to have much/any experience of running their cars without the cover, but you never know, and I think your suggestion of posting on a track forum would be a good way forward. 
Apologies again Granola.

Enjoy your hobby.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

No Worries! So I found a few decent answers from other forum, if anyone randomly stumbles onto this topic in 4 years time of something, it might help a random person😂

Apart from adding a little noise insulation & presentation (Both primary reasons) It does not serve any purpose. 

Benefits & Risks.. 

Benefits: Space for larger intake, better heat dissipation for coil packs & valve cover, more noise (if that's your thing) & Cheaper than replacement if the foam backing is breaking down (common issue) Makes service/inspection work faster. 

Risks:Minimal Noise increase(mostly direct injection idle noise at a standstill), Does increase the probability of breaking a sensor (cam sensor) if your silly enough to go ham fisted leaning on components but improbable unless your clumsy.

Based on 50,000 miles without one.  

• Like 1

You'd be fine to run without it in my opinion.  They're just for asthetics. So you'd definitely save some weight. 

If you want to save more weight definitely look at carbon parts or ditching other parts like rear seat, spse wheel, boot carpet etc. 

You could even create extra vent holes in the bumper to aid cooling and save weight. 

I fully get where your coming from as my brother races.