Strange noise after rebuild

Itspointless

Yeah it's the loud rattling sort of noise you can hear over everything. When I start it from cold it's pretty much silent but as it gets warmer the noise gets louder. 

I'm gonna reset the tension today, hopefully it solves it.

Thanks.

Well I've reset the tensioner, and as I released the plunger it's gone back to where it was before. I've checked all the timing marks are aligned which they are. A friend said if the timing was out it would throw up a code anyway. 

Maybe this dephaser pulley is faulty, but id imagine it would throw a code for that if it was? 

It's strange that once the engine is warm (oil thiner) it starts to make the noise. 

I think I'm gonna throw some castrol in it or something. 

Thanks.

I've just read another timing procedure instructions online that says to tension the chain with the camshaft support bracket removed. 

And the instructions a friend printed for me says to tension the chain with the support in place.

Maybe this is where I have gone wrong? 

Thanks.

Well I've tensioned the chain with the bracket removed put it back together and it's still the same. Definitely sounds like it's coming from the inlet cam pulley. 

Guess I'm gonna have to strip down the top end again and replace the camshaft.

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Glad you found the cause. But Why'd it happen? 

I have no idea, it was new but a pattern part. The pulley has a few mm play and knocks when I twist it left or right. Replaced with a OEM shaft and it's fine now.

The pattern part has INA stamped on it but so does the audi one. About £400 price difference though.