Timing belt no longer a time Interval requirement?

DarrenJC

Hi I’m looking at both an Audi. A6 2014 does the 2.0 TDI have a chain or Belt.

the second is an Audi A5 2013 2.0 TDI does this have a belt or chain please 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 9:43 PM, Steve Q said:

Oh wow, not heard of that. Don't know if I'd trust it especially when the old schedule was at 5 years. However I must admit my daily ford Kuga is 10 years 🤔

Isn't this a case of VAG group previously 'overstating the change frequency in order to boost their renewal revenues..... and the regulators have issued them with a warning ??

I'd need to see technical performance data to convince me that Ford use superior 'rubber' in their belts over and above what VAG use.... 

it's much more likely that VAG have been conning everyone with change frequencies that are simply not necessary .... or maybe someone 'technical' X-VAG knows better ?????  

Hello whoever you are - we haven’t a clue since you have chosen not to fill your profile in! 

Although your opinion is valid - it is just that, and some may agree with you, but I think that if you choose to read through the earlier posts, I think you will conclude that the consensus of opinion points to not too many members being content to dismiss a cambelt change on a timed basis, and risk the possibility of a catastrophic failure. 

Would you care to now fill in your profile properly, at which point you will be very welcome to opine further. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Update from me, my local (independent) service guys first alerted me to the possibility of a 5 year requirement but do not have the bit of kit required to change the timing belt. I called Audi in Plymouth to try and confirm and having taken my reg number they advised the interval was 140k miles and NOT five years. Frankly, I am still concerned.... Does anyone know of a good independent near me that I can try? TIA.

Hello Mark,

Have a read through the various posts on the subject, and continue to be concerned. 
Sorry I can’t help with a local independent, but have you tried a Google search. 
I would have thought that a trusted local garage should be able to do this for you. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.