OIL LEVEL AFTER A SERVICE

Gary Bayley

So I had the car serviced at an Audi dealership last week and randomly flicked through the car settings a couple of days later and noticed the oil level was about a quarter of the way from maximum.

I questioned the dealership who assured me that this is absolutely fine and normal. I'm no expert but surely this isn't right?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated before I take this further.

OIL LEVEL.jpg

Hi, that doesn’t look right to me, it should be to the max line especially if you’ve had it serviced. 
just check mine and this is after 7000 miles it’s showed this today.

IMG_6397.jpeg

• Like 1

How strange Stephen, 

I’ve always (manually) checked oil levels when cold, and all the circulated oil has had sufficient time to return into the sump. My routine has been before start up after being stationary overnight. 
I now have this new fangled! no dipstick in a non Audi, and understandably the display will not work until the engine is cold. 
Why on earth should Audi suggest it check it when warm? - when some oil is still retained in the block and moving parts. 
Logic suggests that since it is true , then a lower than desired cold reading will be even lower if checked when warm. 
If this were mine, I would be taking taking the car to another Audi dealer, armed with the photo. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

I was worried about my oil level on the digital gauge too, as mine got to the minimum. Bought 1L of oil, and used 500ml which brought it all the way to MAX! So it seems it's not a huge amount, just a prompt to top up a touch. Just had my oil changed and the digital gauge was 3/4, I'd rather have slightly less than too much oil.

EDIT: I should add I did provide my own oil Castrol EDGE 2x4L, and there was some left over so it definitely, took around 7-7.5L 

Edited by Tommym92

In my opinion , If the correct amount of oil is added at service change,the gauge will not show full so this is normal and nothing to be concerned about. My last two oil changes from different garages,one a main dealer was the same.