Noob with a question re MMI system.

Scubaregs

Hi all, recently acquired my 2014 A3 1.6 TDI as a second car as currently have a 20,000 mile pa work commute.

Car has been perfect for its intended use, only problem being bluetooth constantly disconnects and is unusable.

I did buy a BT adaptor to plug into the port in the armrest cubby and this worked a bit better but decided to get a standalone aftermarket carplay unit. This arrived yesterday and I've hardwired it in. My master plan has hit one flaw though, the options for connecting to get sound through the speakers are as follows,

1. BT connection to car (As mentioned, this is not working correctly.

2. Aux cable from carplay to car stereo. (No aux input that I can find)

3. FM connection, this works perfectly, however........

Because of where I have to site the carplay screen, if the MMI unit ascends it blocks it. Here is my problem, I can have the MMI unit retracted so I can see/use the carplay screen but then the MMI is inoperative so my FM connection does not work. Does anyone know of any way to have the MMI "powered on" whilst it is retracted? 

If not, would an OBD11 adaptor with a usb to carplay power cable give me sound through the speakers?

Apologies for the long winded first post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pic of my car.

IMG_4290.jpeg

• 1 month later...

In case anyone ever gets past the tumbleweed into this post, on further investigation I've found that the radio connection stays live if the MMI unit is retracted. So I have the carplay unit situated just behind the MMI unit to allow it to rise and after starting the car I immediately retract the MMI.