1.5 TFSI engine thoughts?

Jimnibob

Hi,

I am looking at getting the A3 Sportsback S-Line with the 1.5 TFSI (150ps) petrol engine. Has anyone heard of any negative reviews/feedback on this engine? I was also considering the 2.0 TDi (150ps) as my wife has the VW Golf R-Line 2.0 TDi (150) and loves it, but I feel the need to move away from diesel.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who recently swapped from a VAG TDI to a petrol A3 TFSI I had the same question. The DADA type engine has Cylinder on Demand which effectively turns it into a 750cc twin whilst cruising on part throttle. You can't feel this happening as the transition from 4 to 2 cylinders and back is imperceptible but it aids fuel consumption.

I am getting 50mpg plus out of town and low 40's around town. These numbers are 2 or 3 less mpg than I was getting from the (now scrapped thanks to the Mayor) 2003 Bora TDI 150.

There is a slight hesitation at around 1200 rpm when pulling away so it needs slightly higher revs when moving off. I believe that this is well known and maybe less of an issue if you don't have a manual gearbox. 

Hi James. I can only speak from my experience but. Owned my 1.5 A4 Avant S Line for six faultless years(albeit low mileage)

Miles per Gallon,General mid forties. Long run mid fifties. Acceleration , fast enough for most. Top Speed,more than enough for anybody. Fuel is usually cheaper for petrol which may level out any difference.

Hi James I have a 21 plate Q3 with the same engine and I must admit to being hesitant in the beginning I’ve had it from new and never had an issue with it pulling out or on the motorway can’t have fun on the roads anymore to many cameras 🤬🤬🤬