Over rev downhill

Kos

Hello,

I have a 2010 Audi a3 1.4 tfsi. 
I’ve had it for just over 2 months and noticed that going downhill it starts to rev between 3-4000 rpm and constantly have to keep my foot on the brake while going downhill so it doesn’t over rev.

I also notice shaking when driving on the motorway around 80-100kms, and was thinking maybe it’s just the wheel alignment? 

Does anyone have any knowledge of what maybe the cause/problem that I may have? Help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Kos

Does it have automatic transmission? Some VAG cars have a system that shifts down a gear or two if it detects that speed is increasing while the brake pedal is being depressed. It's a way of providing engine braking.

The wheel wobble is most likely the wheels have not been balanced, though it could also be caused by a loose or worn joint (including rubber bushes,) in the suspension or steering.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 4:07 AM, cliffcoggin said:

Does it have automatic transmission? Some VAG cars have a system that shifts down a gear or two if it detects that speed is increasing while the brake pedal is being depressed. It's a way of providing engine braking.

The wheel wobble is most likely the wheels have not been balanced, though it could also be caused by a loose or worn joint (including rubber bushes,) in the suspension or steering.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll have a look into it as I do need to get my car serviced. Would you happen to know if when I get it serviced, that they would have a look at all areas of the car including the bushes? And to answer your question about the transmission yes it is auto but VAG I have no clue about lol

As I know when I got the car from the dealer they had told me it was serviced and when I drove for the first time on the motorway i noticed the shaking/vibration. I also have no to little knowledge of cars but I’m learning as I go cos this is my first car. 

Edited by Kos

Kos.

The garage will do whatever you ask them to do, and are willing to pay for of course. Tell the garage what the symptoms are, and it should be able to repair whatever is necessary. You will undoubtedly be stunned by how expensive even the smallest job will be, so get the price before committing to having the work done.

Here in Britain cars have to pass a roadworthiness test which includes the steering and suspension faults that I mentioned earlier. Is there not a similar test in NZ? If so, have you any recourse to the dealer you bought the car from? After three months it may be too late to reject the car if it proves to be defective. You should take some legal advice on that point as I know nothing of the law in NZ.

Kos.

In case you were nor aware, VAG stands for Volkwagon Audi Group, and includes Seat and Skoda. The different brands make similar cars based on VW engines and chassis, but with their own bodies and accessories. Don't sneer at VWs, because you are driving one.