To remap or not to remap

swanny

Hi all New to Audi ownership but so far loving my A5 3.0 TDI quattro sport to give it it's full title .It's as you all know is 240 bhp 500nm torque ,My local tuner is promising 300 bhp and 600nm torque with a stage 1 tune Question is I guess is what does This local tuner with a lap top know that the multi million pound organisation Audi doesn't .TIA

3 hours ago, swanny said:

Hi all New to Audi ownership but so far loving my A5 3.0 TDI quattro sport to give it it's full title .It's as you all know is 240 bhp 500nm torque ,My local tuner is promising 300 bhp and 600nm torque with a stage 1 tune Question is I guess is what does This local tuner with a lap top know that the multi million pound organisation Audi doesn't .TIA

Hi I think you answered your Question in the last sentence which equates to not a lot, all these engines were tested to destruction and when they break they take them to pieces to find out what caused the failure, they strengthen the offending part and up the torque/ BHP slightly, if it works well they just keep upping the power to way past the intended production run power, then whatever the engine has achieved up to 45% above the production Torque/BHP if it runs ok they reduce that figure by 45% to the production run power, thats your reliability factor, if you bear this in mind with the age of your car you are just putting more strain on an old engine thats made it this far with no real issues/wear and I bet if it all goes pear shaped and bits start failing he wont want to know unless it involves more money.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A remap will make the world of difference to be honest. I have a mild map on my 2008 CAPA and it made 280BHP and 616NM. If everything is spot on, these will make 330BHP and 700NM with everything else standard. Above this, you're into the realms of hybrid turbos and upgraded fuel pumps. The CAPA and CCWA 3.0TDIs are very strong engines. If you're considering a remap, please make sure you go to a reputable tuner with a rolling road who will do a custom map and not a chap with a laptop and a generic flash map. It's obviously more expensive, but the benefits are rather substantial.

• Thanks 1