Leak near front nearside

Rust81

Go to solution Solved by Rust81,

Hi everyone, I’m after some help please! I’ve just noticed a leak from the front nearside. The undertray is catching it so suspect the leak could be elsewhere. I thought it was coolant but not so sure as the levels seem fine. Just wondering if this is something common or any tips on things to check. Thanks!

IMG_2803.jpeg

Thanks both. Seems to be clear and not oily but difficult to tell as it’s dripped onto gravel on the drive.  Have put some newspaper underneath to try and get a better look 

just to add that when the car is turned off there is a whining sound that last 30-60 seconds. It seems to be in the same area as the leak. I’m new to Audi so no idea if this is normal or not. 

Edited by Rust81

I actually think this is a coolant leak. Can’t see anything obvious around the cap or any of the pipes on view. Will book it into the garage and try and limit driving in the meantime. 

I took the car for a drive around the block last night and had the red coolant warning appear with the turn your engine off message. I was only one road from home so got it back and temp didn’t get above 90. Obviously I need to get it to a garage so I will fill the coolant up and see if it holds to get it the 2-3 min journey to the local garage. My question - should I just top it up with water or use the non g12 coolant (Prestone) that I bought? I’ve read that mixing coolant isn’t a great idea. Any advice?

if you decide to go to the garage and its not far and there is still some coolant in the bottle just top up with water as its around £17 for a litre from audi(good stuff)i got the same warning message on my a4 avant and found after removing the large undertray that the bottom pipe(nearside) leading to the radiator had a leak....(if this is your case)if you can get a flat headed screwdriver and lift the clip up thats on the end of the pipe(dont remove it) and try and push the pipe as far as it will go on, and at the same time close the clip(sometimes these clips pop up and cause the leak,mine was a fast leak)......if that does not work and it still leaks from there,then you have to buy an O ring from audi(common fault, thats why they will know which one you will need when you tell them where the leak is coming from...and insert it inside the bottom radiator pipe(make sure its flush.......now heres the hardest part getting the pipe back on while trying to close the clip with the O ring in place. i found it very hard.even then i dread hearing the warning light coming back on as uncertain if it will stay in place.regards

• Solution

Hi - quick update as car has just been in to the garage. There’s a small leak coming from the pipe at the bottom of the radiator and there is also some staining on the rad itself so being advised to swap the rad out which I will probably do.