Alternator failure related to mild hybrid system?

fiddyk23

15 hours ago, MikeyW said:

My Audi is out of the initial warranty but despite having extended warranty I was assured the repairs were done entirely under the extended 7 year part specific warranty for the alternator…..including the loan car 

Thank you for this. I’ve been told that by Bristol, Audi A3s aren’t covered and it’s only Q7s that have an extended 7year warranty. I don’t know if this is the case? They are refusing to help me as I hadn’t had my latest services at their branch and I’m out of warranty by 5 months. They’re also saying I may need to pay for a new battery as well as a 2k alternator. I’m glad yours was able to be repaired. 

Does the A3 have the mild hybrid 48v/12v system? If it does then it should be covered by the 7 year extension. My RS6 was repaired by Mon Motors who own Bristol Audi but at Audi Bath.

@Steph1234 I have an A6 Allroad,  which was covered under the extended 7 year warranty. If you go on the government website for vehicle recalls you can check by model/year. It is referred to as the starter generator.

1 hour ago, Mark2 said:

Does the A3 have the mild hybrid 48v/12v system? If it does then it should be covered by the 7 year extension. My RS6 was repaired by Mon Motors who own Bristol Audi but at Audi Bath.

Yes it does have a mild hybrid 48v system. Is there any way I can prove it is covered by the 7 year extension. Would you mind telling me how long ago Audi Bath repaired yours? Bristol are still saying no today, not sure whether I’m fighting a losing battle. Thank you for your help really appreciate it.

Simon was very helpful and even gave me the email address if Audi Executive to complain. I am happy if you mention me.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:29 PM, MikeyW said:

The dealer told me that the faulty part is covered by a 7 year warranty which is also what others here have been told. I’ve written to the MD of Audi Uk to get clarification on what this really means, their position on whether the issue has been fixed, how subsequent failures may be dealt with, broader car warranty extension at their cost and whether newer vehicles have the same issue. I’ve not had a reply yet. I’ve said I won’t collect my car until I do - I’m in an Audi mobex loan car via enterprise so it’s costing Audi every day I have it. 

my own rs6 is out of the 3 years warranty but I have an extended warranty I took out, but I’m told this repair is being done under this special extended warranty for the 48v system alternator so I’d push back hard and say other owners are not being charged as this is a known issue and regardless of the age or mileage is being honoured as an Audi issue. 

my dealer has been superb and the car was fixed in just over a week from failure - but I’m not having it back till I hear from Audi Uk…..assume you are Uk based ?? 

I don’t blame you, I hope you get an answer soon it’s frustrating they don’t seem to be taking responsibility for this issue. I can’t get Bristol Audi to budge as they are adamant there is no known fault and the 7yr warranty on 48v system alternators are only for Q7 so I have to pay the full amount as I own an A3. Audi UK have said there is nothing they can do. I hope you have more luck with them than I have. 

On 5/2/2024 at 12:09 AM, fiddyk23 said:

Hi @Steph1234, if you go to the first page of this topic you’ll see I posted it in my first/second post

Thank you for your help.

On 5/2/2024 at 12:01 PM, Cally said:

@Steph1234 my dealership initially refused to cover my vehicle under the extended warranty too - out of warranty at 68,000 miles . If you haven't already, you need to raise a case with Audi UK and pass the number to your dealership and ask them to make an application for support. Mentioning the Consumer Rights Act 2015 was also a game changer. I am having ongoing issues with my vehicle as a result of the failure, but can confirm with pressure applied the initial repair cost was covered in full. It took a month, but I was eventually provided with a hire car which I used for a month while I awaited the repair of my vehicle. Wishing you the best of luck for a rightful resolution.

Thank you for your help. Audi UK said they can’t help me as Audi Bristol won’t support me as I’m out of warranty. Hope you get your issues sorted. 

On 5/2/2024 at 9:51 AM, Mark2 said:

Hi Steph,

you should get confirmation from Audi UK about the warranty extn if not I could get your dealer to contact mine . Audi uk paid for my vehicle recovery , alternator and loan car my battery was ok once it was put on charge. 

My case relations manager who is handling my case has now gone on holiday and they’ve told me no one else can help me til he’s back! I’ll keep pushing to find out about this warrant, thank you.  Who was your dealer? Thank you so much for your help!

44 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

Simon was very helpful and even gave me the email address if Audi Executive to complain. I am happy if you mention me.

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it, feel like I’ve hit a brick wall with Bristol. I’ll give Bath a call tomorrow. Thank you so much

@Steph1234 my dealership is Huntingdon Audi. I am awaiting a response from Ferzana from Audi Executive, she's written to apologise for the delay,  no surprise they are inundated with complaints!

• Like 2

I’ve had some contact from Audi uk now following my letter to Andrew Doyle. It’s not overly satisfactory as they seem just just be positioning themselves to blame the dealer and the factory.  Keen to reiterate that technical info should come from the dealership as they(Audi uk) aren’t technically trained.  I obviously said the dealership don’t have the details I need.  They then said they would have to contact the factory but that that information might not be revealed to me…..they wouldn’t acknowledge there had been any other failures, any reference to issues in the USA or any issues to other models. They did ask me what my expectations were !!!! They said they would be back to me by 13th may. I feel a letter to Germany coming next.  My car is fixed now and back on the road although I now have a brake warning light but I need new pads so it’s nothing too scary other than the price ! 

Last night I posted a couple of replies on Andrew Doyle's LinkedIn profile, responding to comments congratulating him and his team on the release of a new etron model. I last had contact from Audi Executive on 23 April 2024 apologising for the delay in responding appropriately,  due to a big backlog. I was told to expect an update within 2 days......7 May, I have still heard nothing. I have suggested Audi attend to their existing customers who are unwittingly driving dangerous, unreliable vehicles, before focusing their efforts on expanding their range. Less lucrative for sure, but essential and absolutely the responsible thing to do.

My car has been repaired under the 7 year extended warranty but since it's return has numerous intermittent faults, all very unnerving. In all my years of driving I have never worried about driving, sadly my A6 has ruined that.

The dealership performed a software update due to a P button fault. The technician advised that although the light was intermittent if I had continued driving the auto gearbox would soon have jammed as it was 'confused' about which gear was actually selected. My car is now jumping on occasion into M1 and back again, only response has been more unacceptable head scratching.

The full gauge will at times return to full while I am driving and the range will increase without a visit to the fuel station, if only!

I believe my car to be dangerous and unreliable, certainly not what I would havd chosen to invest my money in.

I plan to start politely messaging them through social media platforms and I will also apply to 5he consumer rights programme RIp Off Britain, in the hope that if we can gain their support, Audi may be more inclined to take this seriously.

I am now into the fifth month and my patience is wearing thin.

On 5/3/2024 at 1:01 AM, MikeyW said:

My Audi is out of the initial warranty but despite having extended warranty I was assured the repairs were done entirely under the extended 7 year part specific warranty for the alternator…..including the loan car 

I rang Bath Audi and you won’t believe it, Simon left last week. They did say someone from his team will call me back.  Bristol Audi have emailed me to say ‘Q7is the only car that is covered on this 7yr extension. Audi Uk said last week there is still nothing they can do as Bristol are refusing to support me. I have now rang Audi uk back today to say Bristol have given me false information as I know it is not just the Q7 models. Funnily enough they haven’t called back when they said they would. I would like to write to the executives at Audi to complain not only for the poor customer service but also to back up your concerns that they’re not taking the safety element seriously that a key component to a car are failing so quickly in young, low mileage cars. 

On 5/7/2024 at 8:04 AM, MikeyW said:

I’ve had some contact from Audi uk now following my letter to Andrew Doyle. It’s not overly satisfactory as they seem just just be positioning themselves to blame the dealer and the factory.  Keen to reiterate that technical info should come from the dealership as they(Audi uk) aren’t technically trained.  I obviously said the dealership don’t have the details I need.  They then said they would have to contact the factory but that that information might not be revealed to me…..they wouldn’t acknowledge there had been any other failures, any reference to issues in the USA or any issues to other models. They did ask me what my expectations were !!!! They said they would be back to me by 13th may. I feel a letter to Germany coming next.  My car is fixed now and back on the road although I now have a brake warning light but I need new pads so it’s nothing too scary other than the price ! 

What a frustrating reply! They don’t want to take ownership by the sounds of it. I would like to write to the executives at Audi too, to complain not only for the poor customer service and the battle we are all having but also to back up your concerns that they’re not taking the safety element seriously that a key component to a car are failing so quickly in young, low mileage cars. I wonder how many of us it would take to actually make them listen and respond appropriately!?

On 5/7/2024 at 10:10 AM, Cally said:

Last night I posted a couple of replies on Andrew Doyle's LinkedIn profile, responding to comments congratulating him and his team on the release of a new etron model. I last had contact from Audi Executive on 23 April 2024 apologising for the delay in responding appropriately,  due to a big backlog. I was told to expect an update within 2 days......7 May, I have still heard nothing. I have suggested Audi attend to their existing customers who are unwittingly driving dangerous, unreliable vehicles, before focusing their efforts on expanding their range. Less lucrative for sure, but essential and absolutely the responsible thing to do.

My car has been repaired under the 7 year extended warranty but since it's return has numerous intermittent faults, all very unnerving. In all my years of driving I have never worried about driving, sadly my A6 has ruined that.

The dealership performed a software update due to a P button fault. The technician advised that although the light was intermittent if I had continued driving the auto gearbox would soon have jammed as it was 'confused' about which gear was actually selected. My car is now jumping on occasion into M1 and back again, only response has been more unacceptable head scratching.

The full gauge will at times return to full while I am driving and the range will increase without a visit to the fuel station, if only!

I believe my car to be dangerous and unreliable, certainly not what I would havd chosen to invest my money in.

I plan to start politely messaging them through social media platforms and I will also apply to 5he consumer rights programme RIp Off Britain, in the hope that if we can gain their support, Audi may be more inclined to take this seriously.

I am now into the fifth month and my patience is wearing thin.

So sorry to hear you’re still having so much trouble. I am more than happy to support any complaints with you. I am astonished at their lack of support and disingenuousness. I bet there are so many people in the same boat as we are!

Steph, that is news to me about Simon Gray, however I have dealt with Monmotors for 20+ years and I will try to get someone else for you.

I finally got a call from Audi Executive yesterday. The latest is that they are going to speak to my dealership to discuss rejection and buy back under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I fear we will not be happy with their offer, however, it might be our only good option. If all the intermittent fault warnings should come to fruition, the cost of repair would be phenomenal. It is such a shame, prior to this I was very happy with my car.

1 hour ago, Mark2 said:

Steph, that is news to me about Simon Gray, however I have dealt with Monmotors for 20+ years and I will try to get someone else for you.

Thank you so so much for your help I really appreciate it. This is only my first Audi. 

Steph,

the guy I have known for years at Bath Audi is Sean. He has taken over Simon’s role until he is replaced. He has asked if I could let him have your name he can speak to Bristol first. If you do not want to do that call Bath and ask for Sean, tell him yiu know Mark Hayward with the RS6. Good luck