Glow plug light flashing

SteveG

Hello Everyone, 

This is a well trodden road as I have read several threads about it but nothing that covers my problem. I have a 56 plate 3.0tdi A6 Allroad. I have had an ongoing air suspension issue which I finally solved by replacing the compressor. However on the same day the glow plug warning light began to flash and  I would need to turn the engine over for at least 5 secs before it started. I duly tested the Glow plugs and ended up replacing 5.  I still had the issue and with no voltage at the glow plugs I replaced the glow plug control relay. No luck. I then took the car to the local auto electrician who downloaded the VAG codes. The most notable were P3135 and P1018 Swirl flaps limits. So I replaced the the entire Swirl flaps manifolds on both sides, the swirl flap motors are actuating, I still have the issue and with my MOT due I'm running out of time. If anybody can point me in another direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you, Steve

Hi Steve,

This is my experience from a C4 A6. I started getting the glow plug light flashing, accompanied by a beeping. Usually four flashes. Eventually, a master tech at Norwich Audi told me that this was an indication that the battery was in poor condition, A new battery cured it.

As I say, this was a much earlier vehicle, but I thought I'd mention it, on the off chance it's relevant.

Cheers,

Mike

Hello Mike, Thank you for the reply, I have no beeping and its a continual flash. I have charged the battery to full and its still flashes, however  I do not think the battery is top notch so it is definitely worth considering. Thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

HI Steve did you ever get this resolved? Check all connectors and connections to the EGR valve, as well as to the maf etc, sometimes if a connector has worked lose it will bring up the flashing glow plug symbol, failing that check all the vac hoses, some of the faults won't light the mil, but will through up the glow plug light instead