Parking Problems

Anton8

Hi

I seem to have read somewhere recently, it must have been it the paper. A guy up north somewhere parked his E-Tron in a car park, purchased a ticket for the correct amount, returned to his car within the allotted time and got a ticket for £60 for being over weight. It seems there was a weight limit of 1750kgs and the E Tron weighs in at 2300kgs. Just wondering if anybody else has come across this.

Tony

Many thanks Tony,

It’s not April 1st already is it? 
(1) Never heard of a weight limit in a car park ( unless access might be over a weight limited bridge).

(2) How on earth would a car park attendant know the weight of an E Tron? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

If the car park in question had ANPR I would think it wouldn't be a major step to get make, model, weight, flashed up on the screen for the jobs worth to issue the ticket. A.I. at it's best.  

Tony

• 3 months later...

Joking aside, I heard an interview on the radio a few months ago with a structural engineer talking about how the weight of modern cars, especially EVs, is a real emerging problem with older multi-storey car parks, that simply weren't designed to carry that much weight.  He was talking about how many will have to be strengthened and/or have their capacity reduced to cope.  Perhaps not so surprising when a modern EV weighs double or more than a typical family car of the 70's.    

Hi Jeremy.

I do wonder some times about my e-tron weighing in at 2500kg. The average weight of a car in 2001 was 1328kg it is now 1600kg according to the M of T. So, it is increasing quite rapidly.

Tony