Voltage supply below limit alarm going off

Saraht

Go to solution Solved by Saraht,

Someone please help me and my sleep deprived neighbours. 
My car alarm has been going off all night. When we switch it off it then goes off again. I took it to local garage and they plugged it in and said voltage below limit. Only way is to take it to the dealer. Leave it unlocked! Rang dealership and they are so busy they will call back and just to call RAC! 
looks like a month before I can book it in. That leaves my car unusable until it goes into the dealer. They still haven’t called back. Tried clearing leaves shutting doors and pressing button on inside driver door. Nothing working. Tried everything (non mechanical) suggested on here as I haven’t a clue. Is there any way of locking it without alarm until Audi can do it please? I’ve tried all I can see on utube. If I leave it open it’ll be stolen. Someone please help I’m desperate. Attached the report when garage plugged it in. It’s A4 avant S line 66 plate. I’m demented with no sleep. 

IMG_5916.jpeg

Hello Sarah,

As a first step, I would suggest taking the car around to your nearest Halfords store and ask them to test the battery efficiency, since low voltage has been quoted. 
Also worth getting the alternator output checked at the same time. 
I wouldn’t tend to buy a new battery at this stage if found to be sub standard - just comeback to us first with the outcome. 
Is the car still running on its original battery? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. To ensure the battery gets a fair test, please take the car on a 20 mile run before going to the store.

He put a monitor on it and said even under load it’s still in the green. I’ve now learned the alarm battery is separate and needs changed but only Audi can do that. Do you know if I leave it unlocked if it alarms itself. It’s booked for Thursday miles away but my neighbours may lynch me if it starts again tonight. He said it’s all dry despite a lot of rain last night. So it’s not because it’s wet. Audi had no solution except call RAC. I’m desperate my 90 year old neighbour got no sleep last night. I’m just looking for a temporary solution until Thursday. Thanks for all your advice I’m hugely grateful. 

5 hours ago, Saraht said:

Is there any way of locking it without alarm until Audi can do it please?

Hi, assuming you have tried using the actual key (not remote fob) to lock the car?  I thought doing that doesn't enable the alarm?  Correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

Generally, how long have you had the car?  Service history, etc.  Just wondered, as there are a number of faults from the scan?  18?

Thanks, Joe

Hi no I haven’t tried that but I will if it goes off again tonight in the storm forecasted. It’s a 66 plate and i usually have it serviced and MOT locally not at the dealership. I’ve been told it needs updates but didn’t realise there’s 18 faults. Omg 

i don't know if it is 18 faults, it is just what i see in your snapshot.  It wasn't to worry you.  7 and 9 seem to be the same sort of fault.

I don't know what other fault finders do when they find fault codes from a scan, but i would (and have) cleared all faults codes, then run the car as you would do, and then do another scan.  I there is a problem, my thought is that the code would come up again.  Not sure if that is the correct way, but anyone is happy to correct me.

Thanks Joe

Hi Joe

Yhe garage who fault checked it this morning tried to clear the faults but they came back on! I’m just losing the will to live with it and just now want to find a way to stop it going off until Thursday then I guess I’ll need a mortgage to get it fixed. I’m grateful for all input. Just seen we could have a tornado coming on the south coast. Thanks just want to know if I don’t lock it will the alarm stay off. 

Thanks Sarah,

I cannot claim that your battery is below par, but testing it (properly!!) is the only way of eliminating it or incriminating it. That is why I suggested you entrust this to your local Halfords stores who are/ should be equipped with a tester capable of carrying out measured tests - usually for nothing. 
All modern Audis are very susceptible to sub standard batteries, and the technology certainly outstrips green lights. 

We try to give logical advice which results in cheap elimination, before owners embark on more expensive investigations. Sometimes it works, but we do respect that it’s the owner’s choice whether they accept that advice, or carryout further investigations by any route that might suit them better. 
Good luck with getting it sorted.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

thanks again for your advice. I didn’t realise Halfords would do something more than my local garage. I will take it to Halfords tomorrow. I honestly haven’t got a clue about cars and really value your support and suggestions. I’ve had no sleep and spent all day running around and tried to cut a corner rather than travelling to Halfords. I really am very grateful and not looking forward to another sleepless night. 
sarah 

• Like 1

Hi Sarah,

If you have used the key fob to lock the car and the alarm goes off.  Then as per my suggestion, use the physical key to lock the car.  If the alarm still goes off, at least you have tried this.

Thanks,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. IT’s having a new alarm thing fitted and they say it needs 4.5k of work but my local mechanic is doing that as I’m not paying that much. Out of curiosity. What battery do you recommend to purchase. Audi want 450£ for a new battery and I’m sure you’ll know which are best and cheaper. Thanks for all your help. 
sarah 

Oh blinking heck Sarah - £4.5K work necessary. What on earth is wrong with this car, and what mileage has it covered, what service history does it have, and how long have you owned it? 

In terms of renewing the battery - did Halfords test results show it to be below par? 

If so, I’ve recently bought a couple of Exide batteries from Tayna Batteries. I usually buy via. their eBay listing where the postage is free, and the code SAVES8 might still work to give you an extra 8% off. If you give them your reg. no. then they will direct you to the correct battery, but beware, they will promote their own Enduroline brand which will be more expensive than the good quality correct Exide one.

Audi’s £450!! I’d need gas and air! 
Obviously just come back with any queries to avoid paying more than you need for anything. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi

i just cried! 
the following needs doing 

alarm £451 (they’re doing that)

Cooling leak from housing (1700£)

Front brake pads 75% £570)

Rear brake pads 85% (£630)

OS & R/S Lower coil cups split (626£)

Brake fluid (£100)

Tyre £150

Diagnostic £251 even though I told them what was wrong. 

I am a very careful driver retired who doesn’t do many miles. There was something else but I’d lost the will by then they did a lot in January I think they just see me coming. It’s done 80k miles. 
saying brake disks need doing soon!  
You can see why I just cried and I’ve had to leave it 4 days to get alarm done so still with no car. He said we’ve cleared it 😂

im just so grateful for any advice. I had a cv joint replacement in January they quoted 2-5k and my local garage did it for £509. He is looking on 12/12 but I’m worried about this coolant thing but I’ve had no warning lights. I’ll just not drive much until he sees it. 
Thanks again for the battery advice. 
Sarah (still crying) 

Thanks Sarah,

I would just take a very deep breath and STOP ( sorry about the caps) until these quotes are clarified. 
Who’s quotes are these Sarah - the garage who are currently working on the car, or someone else?

Let’s wait for your clarification re that, but these are highly questionable figures in relation to what would be expected away from Audi. 
As well as damaging your finances, it seems that this has the potential of damaging your well-being, and safeguarding that as best you can,  is vital.

Not that it matters, but let’s say I have many years of retirement behind me! - and I’m still learning how best to manage my well being, and now at the stage where I realise it is so important. 
We hope to talk you through all of this Sarah, as best we can remotely. 
Take care and kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

these are Audi quotes hence only having the alarm done as it’s going off constantly. My local garage can’t see it until 12th December. 
I’ve only just retired and thinking I’ll have to go back to work. I’m very grateful for all your advice as I’ve no idea and just have to rely on advice from my local garage. He’s the one who plugged it in and said it’s low voltage on the alarm but couldn’t do it for 2 weeks and I couldn’t let it go off all night disturbing everyone. I trust him and he said just get the alarm sorted and we’ll deal with everything next month. 
I have to say I’m trying to stay calm but still really worried. 
thankyou for your kindness it means a lot. 
sarah 

Sigh of relief Sarah! Breath easy now.

If it were mine, I would be making a list of the jobs which  Audi have told you need doing, and take that to your local garage between now and 12th of Dec. and ask them to estimate the costs of the individual jobs, so you have an idea of how much less you are going to have to pay - compared with the Audi quote - considerable I would expect. 
Once you are armed with that, then no doubt that will be a significant stress reliever, and don’t be surprised if some of the quoted jobs are found not to be essential to do at this particular time. 
Battery? Just forget about renewing that at the moment ( unless Halfords did declare it to be substandard), or indeed if Audi tell you it needs replacing - in which case don’t (in caps) allow them to. Just comeback if and when. 

Just refer back to the forum at any point where you are unsure.

It will all work out much better than forecast. It really will. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks so much Gareth. Halfords said it’ll need replacing in the next few months. Audi tell me it has a dead cell and is urgent. I’ll follow your advice and get a quote from my local guy. 
your time and patience have made me feel so much better. Thank you. 
Sarah x

• Like 1

Battery - or Tayna, which will certainly your most economical route to a good quality battery at the most competitive price, but you may prefer to leave it to your garage. Just one point of caution if leaving it to them - I certainly wouldn’t have Lion or Lucas brands, so worth asking what brand they would be fitting. 
You are getting there! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hi

just wanted to let you know I’ve had my alarm mended. Audi had it for 4 days and replaced the alarm battery thing. When I got it home it started again. Local garage fitted new battery and are going to do repairs on 12/11. I did get £250 off my bill from Audi. My thoughts are it just needed a new battery and not the other part. Thanks for all your advice and support. I’m never setting foot in an Audi garage again. 
sarah 

• Like 1