Cambelt

Gollum2016

Hi

Thinking of buying a A3 1.6tdi 2011.

It's high mileage but in really clean condition with full history.  It's showing cambelt was changed in 2019 and has since done another 46k.

Will belt need changing anytime soon 

Thanks

Hello Chris,

Thanks for joining. 
I think if you do a search for recent posts, you will see that VAG have now removed the time limit ……x miles, or x years - whichever come first.., and now only put a mileage limit of c130 miles ( I think but check). 
If your belt was changed 4 years and 46 K miles ago, then they they are now saying you can run it (safely???) for around another 8 years - or as long as it takes to reach their current mileage limit. 
Good news or bad?. Some are content to follow that ‘mileage limit only’, others - me included feel that will be taking a chance. 
I would  suggest you read the opinions before deciding what best suits you. 
Under the old tried and tested system, your belt would need changing 5 years ( next year) from when it was last changed. 
Perhaps you could come back to us with your decision Chris. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. What mileage has this car covered to date, and what would be your anticipated annual mileage? 

Like Gareth, I am uneasy about ignoring a time limit. It is known that rubber (any rubber) degrades over time, so even if the car does zero miles the rubber will eventually lose its strength and flexibility over time. Consequently I would change the belt at about 70000 miles assuming a typical usage. That limit is admittedly rather arbitrary, but failure of the belt is unpredictable and will happen without warning so a line has to be drawn somewhere.

• Like 1