Close boot with foot gesture and washing sunroof

ssharma

Go to solution Solved by mstv,

Hi,

I have just got the delivery of a new A6 in the UK with Tech Pack Pro and convenience key.

1) I can open the boot by kicking under the sensor but can't close it using the same foot gesture. Can you please advise?

2) Is it OK to pressure wash the sunroof?

Thanks

Hello Sharad,

Re. (1) - I’m having a little difficulty in understanding why you aren’t simply returning your new car to the dealer and talking through the issue. Kicking it! 
Re.(2). I certainly wouldn’t. 

• Solution

I believe the closing by foot kicking only works if you have the powered opening/closing boot.

If it's just the standard A6 then it's opening only with the foot gesture as the boot lid rises as the result of a spring, not as the result of a motor.

Not the same car but a video here: 

Thanks both for your response. I spoke to the dealer who confirmed that A6 saloon only has the feature to open the boot with the foot gesture, but not close it. 

The user manual says I should be close it as well but hey ho, the same manual is probably covering 3/4 sub variants.

You're welcome. The dealership I bought mine from claimed it didn't have the capability at all, but it turns out it only works when the car is fully locked with the engine off. 

It should close automatically with the sensor. However the sensor is a bit useless working sometimes on mine. If the car is dirty, soiled or on an incline I have a real struggle to get it to work. 

I’ve just tried my car and works both open and close. (MY23 black edition, all options).

Yes, but this is only possible on the Avant as they have the powered boot closing as well as opening. On the Saloon, the default mechanism to open the boot once the latch is released is just some big springs, and the foot action only releases the boot latch. That's why it does closing on the Avant and not the saloon.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the auto close of the tailgate on the Avant, be careful what you wish for applies.

It seems (and this is a guess) that my Avant had this enabled, the end result was having the tailgate close on me on several occasions, multiple times each occasion without any logic to it whilst loading up. Being the filling in a tailgate sandwich isn't particularly nice and it does hurt.

The final straw was the damn thing closing unexpectedly in the dark as I was walking towards it, result was a concussion headache for a week. There are dim downwards facing lights (when the tailgate is open) but nothing that faces away that someone who is walking towards the rear of the car can see. My old b7 Avant had the rear facing lamp but the C8 does not! So many valuable features have been binned.

At the end of day, users need to know whether doors and tailgates are open or closed and be confident they in the same position they expect them to be in.

Regarding pressure washing the sunroof, I would expect it to be fine but go lightly on the seals and gaps. They are designed to stay sealed when driving at high speed but everything has a design limit, my other car has a sunroof and gets jetwashed regularly with the nozzle about 3 foot away and no issues.

Edited by FMOB
DOH!!!