Better lights, Brighter nights.

Stevey Y

Hi just thought I would put this out there, I have been mulling this one over for the last couple of years and finally taken the plunge having spoken to a man who knows his wiring and discovered that 10w wont break the bank, the car uses D5s 25w bulbs as standard and these are pretty poor in the wet at night, I replaced the bulbs a couple of years ago with only a marginal improvement and a substantial cost, so after chatting to the Skoda electrician I now know that HID lights are now classed as the poor mans option versus LED units, I explained about my problem and he suggested using the 35w bulbs as these have more output and as long as they are 12v 35w D5s units they will be fine and also said I should get the 5500 kelvin rated bulb for maximum effect, I asked him why the o.e. manufacturers did not make these and he explained they do but the rating only goes to 4500 kelvin which they class as an upgrade and all dealer bulbs are now 5500-6000 kelvin rated because of the complaints about lighting from owners, enough I fitted an aftermarket set of bulbs two for the price of one Osram and I have now got at least fifty metres more usable light even in the worst rain/dark, as for longevity I will let you know.

Steve.

• Like 1

Great Steve, and as you say an extra 10w won’t break the battery’s bank - less than 1 amp.

The extra light splay must make night driving so much safer and far less stressful - says one who now admits I no longer like driving in the dark . That’s nothing to do with age say he, tongue in cheek! 
Kind regards,

Gareth.