Does Spacesaver fit in the MHEV?

Peteb1951

Has anyone managed to fit a spacesaver in the MHEV A4 b9 Teknik TDI saloon (17" wheel)?  Is there room since Audi fitted the auxiliary Lithium battery? I've seen installations of the 19" wheel, but not of the smaller sizes.

If this has been accomplished any photos would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have just fitted a new 19" space saver to my 2023 Audi A4 Avant35 tfsi Sport MHEV. It fits OK once you remove the compressor, gunk bottle, foam housing and plastic cover. There is still room for the tool kit under the wheel. I have ordered a jack on eBay which I hope may fit inside the right hand side panel. 

Hi Pete, my Audi A4 Sport also has 17" wheels and the 19" space saver is the same outside diameter. I bought my spare wheel from the wheel shop and they informed me that 19" space saver is the recommended spare wheel size for any size of wheels fitted to the Audi A4 B9. 

• Like 1

Everyone who has replied had the Avant. I've yet to have any info ref a spacesaver fitted in a saloon.

IMG_20240226_150207.thumb.jpg.23be35f9180690d3fc7ca2749aa67543.jpgIMG_20240226_150251.thumb.jpg.3423560b6eb1c46a460ccf5769edb6e3.jpgI called into my local Audi dealers today and asked them, a total waste of time I got the standard response"if it wasn't fitted as standard equipment we can't comment"

I've attached photos of the boot space for a spare in the saloon. As you can see it differs from the Avant. Any additional info for the MHEV Saloon would be welcome.

Definitively can fit space saver to A4 saloon.I have a 20 plate A4 saloon sport 40TFSI.

I purchased the kit form Listers Audi Stratford On Avon.

• Like 1

Cheers Trevor

I'll go back to Crewe Audi and ask them why they can't do the same for my Car?

Any chance of posting a photo of the installation that  I can shove in their face? 🤣 

Pete 

Hi Peter

can not do photos, but if any help part numbers are: v8 601 027 c    Wheel

V8 011 031 c  Jack

V8012 109 f stowage

19inch wheel fits ok in boot

All purchased from Audi main dealer  (not cheap) but available

Regards

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have an A4 TFSI 35 MHEV 2020, I am also trying to get a spare wheel and jack kit from eBay but I am unsure if the wheel would fit in the boot if I remove the repair kit.

I have 19" alloys. I presume the space saver needs to also be 19" or are they different?

I have attached a photo that may give you an idea and I would appreciate your input. By the way, V5 says B8 but folks say its a B9, not sure yet.

It looks the same as Peteb1951 photos...

Thanks,

Sean

IMG_20240309_160939.jpg

Edited by Sean12

Posted (edited)

Hi Sean

Your boot looks exactly the same as mine.

I've got a brand new spacesaver on order  from the "Wheel shop" it should arrive on Monday, I will let you know how (and if) it  fits. 👍 I'd also say you have the b9. The b8 wasn't an MHEV car.

Edited by Peteb1951

Excellent, I hope it fits. Did you say your wheels are 17"? Mine is 19". I just checked the Wheel shop for the make & model, and they come up as 19", with or without the kit.

Cheers Peter, thank you very much.

Edited by Sean12

Posted (edited)

Hi Sean

Wheel arrived and fits OK👍 It's a 19" but it has the same rolling radius as the 17" wheels

My only slight concern is that it's resting on the battery cables, so as shown in the photos as a temporary fix I've cut up a few pieces of carpet which are  now taking the weight. Will get some hard foam for a permanent fix (if the factory under wheel foam takes the weight I might source one of those)

Note - you have to junk the tyre gunk and compressor container

IMG_20240311_115043.jpg

IMG_20240311_120349.jpg

IMG_20240311_120357.jpg

IMG_20240311_120404.jpg

Edited by Peteb1951
  • Like 3

Glad it’s worked out for you Peter, and thanks for sharing. Junking the tyre grunt sounds best place for it, but worth retaining the compressor. 
Thanks again Peter,

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 3/11/2024 at 12:24 PM, Peteb1951 said:

Hi Sean

Wheel arrived and fits OK👍 It's a 19" but it has the same rolling radius as the 17" wheels

My only slight concern is that it's resting on the battery cables, so as shown in the photos as a temporary fix I've cut up a few pieces of carpet which are  now taking the weight. Will get some hard foam for a permanent fix (if the factory under wheel foam takes the weight I might source one of those)

Note - you have to junk the tyre gunk and compressor container

IMG_20240311_115043.jpg

IMG_20240311_120349.jpg

IMG_20240311_120357.jpg

IMG_20240311_120404.jpg

Hi, is this the kit you purchased? https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/audi-a4-b8-2008-present-day-19-space-saver-spare-wheel-and-tool-kit/ and it fits in a B9 avant? do you need to buy anything else to make it fit?

thanks.

I just bought the wheel only for £169 as I already had a suitable jack. It's supposed to fit any b9 variant as the rolling radius of the 17, 18 & 19" wheels are virtually  the same. There may (or not) be issues on front brake caliper clearance so best to fit to the  rear wheels replacing a flat front with a good rear.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peteb1951 said:

I just bought the wheel only for £169 as I already had a suitable jack. It's supposed to fit any b9 variant as the rolling radius of the 17, 18 & 19" wheels are virtually  the same. There may (or not) be issues on front brake caliper clearance so best to fit to the  rear wheels replacing a flat front with a good rear.

Many thanks!

Hi Peter,

That looks great, thanks for sharing the photos, it's a perfect fit. Where do you store the jack kit, under the space saver? Is there enough clearance on the battery pack side under the space saver, the battery seems to have a heatsink

Yes, some hard foam should do the job.

Edited by Sean12

Posted (edited)

Hi Sean

I store the jack and extendable wheel brace in a strong fabric bag which velcro's to the boot carpet, there's not too much room under the spacesaver widthwise. If you wanted to store in the boot I think the fitted plastic storage box between the rear seats and the spacesaver could be replaced for one from a b8 or early b9  which  I believe has space for a jack. If one comes up on eBay I may consider it. In the LLL parts UK manufacturers diagram it's listed as number 5.

Cheers

Peter 

Edited by Peteb1951
Additional info
  • Thanks 1

Hi Peter,

Understood. Thank you and everyone on this thread for all the information, and the good ideas I will order the same kit and see how I can fit the bag.

Cheers,

Sean