Rear window heater not working - A3 Cab 2010

Owdee

Hi, 

I’ve just bought a 2010 A3 Cabriolet and noticed that the rear window heater does nothing when turned on. The switch diode lights up but it doesn’t de-mist nor get warm. On a slightly closer inspection the plastic seal on the soft top interior lining around the window appears to have come away at the bottom. It’s sagging and the rigid plastic appears to have maybe snapped in the middle. Could this have pulled a connecting wire perhaps? And if so where might I find it to try and fix it? 

Thanks! 

Edited by Owdee
Different issue

Hello Sam,

Welcome and thanks for joining. 
The good news is that it becomes the seller’s responsibility to correct these two faults. The inconvenience is unfortunately in your court. 
As you will now appreciate, in theory, warning lights can be reset so they go off (usually for a very short period of time) but they will have first shown because there was an issue with that system. Fix fault and reset light -yes. Reset light and fault is fixed - no. 
Let’s treat simple things first - bulb light. Have you check all lights to see which one is not illuminated? If not, you need to do so. A cunning failure is where one of the two brake light bulbs ( if two fitted) fails. Check your lights at dust or dawn so you can better judge the brilliance. 
EML light - this will need diagnostics to detect the component that is at fault, and you should entrust this to the seller. 
Way forward - inform the seller of the two faults by E-mail, and ask what they are proposing to do to resolve the issues - apart from ‘resetting’ the lights. 
Without rambling on further, please come back to us with the reaction, and we can advise from there. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Sam,

Am I correct in believing you have completely changed the title and content of your original post, while I was responding to it, so my reply becomes totally meaningless? 

Thanks Gareth, wise words. I’ll contact the seller and let him know. He ‘seemed’ a genuine guy. 

Not longer after posted the question I read that not tightening the fuel cap until it clicks a few times can be a common cause of the engine light. Do that, wait 2-3 days, see if the light is still on was the advice. As such I did so, and edited my question to query another problem (recently bought 13 year old car = several newly discovered niggles). But you appear to have nipped in with an answered before the update. Thank you though! 

I’ll let you know the sellers answer and if the fuel cap solves it. And if you can shed any light on the latest issue please do share!

Thank you!