Help needed please - hole in the fuel tank area

Adz8

I have an Audi A4 B9 2016 2l diesel and was filling up yesterday and noticed that there was a hole within the housing of the fuel tank next to the drain hole. It has been raining quite a bit recently. I wanted to know what could have caused this? Is it dangerous and how would it be fixed? I have attached pictures 

If someone could please help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

IMG_0164.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

Edited by Adz8
Added pictures

43 minutes ago, Adz8 said:

I have an Audi A4 B9 2016 2l diesel and was filling up yesterday and noticed that there was a hole within the housing of the fuel tank next to the drain hole. It has been raining quite a bit recently. I wanted to know what could have caused this? Is it dangerous and how would it be fixed? I have attached pictures 

If someone could please help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

IMG_0164.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

Hi its definitely not dangerous, it looks like you would have to replace the filler neck backing which is quite a faff, personally I would wait for a dryad give it all a good clean with brake/carb cleaner and then treat it to a blob of Tiger Seal and smoothie over with a teaspoon and white spirit.

Steve.

Thanks for your reply mate.

What would be the reason for this to happen? And the area is quite wet and it seems like it’s water and diesel mixed. Also just wondering if I was to replace it where could I purchase the filler neck backing from? 

Hello Aadam,

Is the grommet hole ( the original drain) clear of any blockage? Have you tried pushing some suitable size flexible cable/wire down that hole to test that? 
A guess? The original hole is bricked, and someone has decided to drill another drain hole alongside -? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi

I've not tried that yet but will do. I’ve not noticed the hole until now as when I was filling up the other day the area was very wet. Why would the area get very wet? What can I do stop it from getting wet? 

thanks 

Sorry to say it as I see it Jason, but oh blinking heck! 
The ‘grometed’ hole , with an associated drain off tube, is there simply to allow rain water which will flow into the recessed fuel filler chamber to escape. If it gets blocked, rain water will collect within  the flap- covered filler chamber. 
Possible reason for the extra hole? See -guess - in earlier post. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Not confused at all, thanks for the all the help guys. Going to try to find the part and get it changed.  

Thanks Aadam,

Obviously your choice, but if it were mine, I would be carrying out my test before embarking on any expenditure. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.