S5 noise on lock

My 2018 S5 has a sort of grating noise on full lock at parking speeds.  It is worse when it’s cold.  I have read a number of possible reasons from change the oil in all the diffs to this is just a characteristic of the Quattro system and ignore it.

Has anyone any experience of this?  If it is a problem is there an easy fix?

Many thanks

Can you accurately describe the noise or better still get a recording of it?
Can you estimate where its coming from?
Are your wheels standard or have you put larger wheels on? is it possible on full lock that the front wheels are rubbing on the arch liners or is the wheel rubbing on the strut?

Thanks for responding. 
in the old days I would have said it’s like a CV joint rattle when it was about to go. You can feel it through the steering like the car is skipping slightly sideways. 
it is less obvious now and I presume that might be the warmer weather. 
I read a query on Honest John which said it was caused by the rear of the car pushing the front which you only notice at parking speeds so just ignore it. Obviously I would like this to be true. 
it’s on standard wheels and suspension. 

hard to say without hearing it myself but it does sound a bit like my own.

on full lock it sounds like a tyre scrubbing on the inside of the plastic arch, but when i get under the car and have the steering on full lock, there isnt any rubbing.

ive been told by different people that its normal, but i was also told by an "expert" thats a problem you dont want to ignore.  (having said that this same guy has been trying to get me to sell him the car).

Thanks for responding. 
in the old days I would have said it’s like a CV joint rattle when it was about to go. You can feel it through the steering like the car is skipping slightly sideways. 
it is less obvious now and I presume that might be the warmer weather. 
I read a query on Honest John which said it was caused by the rear of the car pushing the front which you only notice at parking speeds so just ignore it. Obviously I would like this to be true. 
it’s on standard wheels and suspension. 

I bought the car from a main dealer and I’ve still got a month’s warranty left.  The dealer said ignore it but I’m not yet convinced. In all other ways it’s perfect so if no one can definitely tell me I have a fault I think I will just ignore it. 
Many thanks for your input. 

Mike

Hello Mike,

Even if you did post a video of the sound, I think the best would be a calculated guess. 
If it were mine:- 

I would be seeking opinion from a local trusted independent. 
Unless the independent advises you to do so, I certainly would not ignore it - the car is trying to tell you something. 
You have a warranty with the car, and it is not your responsibility to actually diagnose the fault. Your responsibility is to simply ensure it gets sorted. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.