Help with what to buy

Christian

Good evening all,

I’m hoping to get some advice for buying an 61-63 plate A7. It looks like my faithful 2.7 A6 is finally on his way out with too many costs to keep him on. 210,000 miles is an honourable journey to have travelled though!!

Can any of you offer any advice for the best models and buyer beware flags if you could. I’m looking to spend around the £10k mark and so far I’m looking at a 2011-2013 s-line model with between 75 and 120k on the clock. 

These forums have been such a help to me over the years and I’d really appreciate any advice you guys can offer 👍🏻

From what I've seen:

Make sure the gearbox has been serviced at the correct interval, 40k miles. Make sure it drives smooth, no jerkiness. (if it's an S-Tronic gearbox). You might be able to get a BiTDI for that money which has a proper auto box.

Listen out for a stretched timing chain or broken tensioners, especially pre facelift.

I think they're the major ones for the A7.

Make sure the Cambelt and water pump have been changed and the auto gearbox has been serviced regularly.  Check service history and check MOT history on DVLA site. 

Make sure all electronic items work such as auto handbrake, AC and mmi. 

If looking at diesels the biggest bills come when needing to replace the dpf, egr or turbo. 

Thanks guys, the cars I have currently shortlisted are all S-Tronic with mileage between 78 and 110k. Will the timing belt tensioners need to have been done at this kind of mileage?

13 hours ago, Christian said:

Thanks guys, the cars I have currently shortlisted are all S-Tronic with mileage between 78 and 110k. Will the timing belt tensioners need to have been done at this kind of mileage?

Mist definitely. And make sure the gearbox has been serviced on time.