S6 Timing out, VCDS Screenshots, help required.

Hi everyone,

Could someone please confirm my timing is out and how bad it is?

The car is a 2002 S6 4.2 V8, timing belt has just been done. Just looking for as much information as possible from a Audi Tech or guru. Your response will be much appreciated. 

Pictures attached, 1st was from cold start, then next ones after it had warmed up a bit.

It fluctuated between 7 and 10 at 1st from cold on block 92 then on block 93 sat at 12/8 and 12/9 on block 93.

Car shaking on idle.

Many thanks 

Eric

20240413_143806.jpg

20240413_143813.jpg

20240413_144010.jpg

20240413_144910.jpg

Most definitely, he's saying it's very easy to sort, he's said:

"I simply time up bottom end slacken pullys and crack them with belt tension on and fit bar and tighten bolt. Sorted"

Also saying he doesn't need to put the front end into service position, doesn’t sound right to me.

Anyone have any thoughts on the above? Is it not a case of the whole thing needs redoing again?

Many thanks 

If it's that easy why hasn't he done it? 

I'd recommend a second opinion, preferably from a mobile mechanic, ideally one that's vag knowledgeable. 

Tricky thing is the mechanic is a friend of mine, I was his "laborer", we do a lot of work for one another,  im a detailer, hes a mechanic. He'll be sorting it one way or another.

Just wondering if this needs to be totally redone from scratch (my thinking anyway) or can it be done the way he's suggesting.

Basically what happened was, it was all going well, seemed to be timed spot on, cam locking bar came on and off prefecty. Then the waterpump started leaking, the gasket was folded a bit in transit and hadn't sat quite right upon installing it. He then had belt just off the sprockets to refit the waterpump (no leaking), the belt was still on the crank etc but didn't put the crank pin in as he said it hadn't moved. 

Cam locking bar then didn't seem to go on as easily as the 1st time, he then turned engine over by hand 2 full rotations, nothing seemed to be hitting or anything, cam locking bar then seemed to go on a bit easier.

He's saying he wants to do it without cam locking bar and just use VAG com 

Can someone give me an in depth reply about this if possible.

Many thanks 

Eric