preventative maintenance on 2012 1.4 TFSI A3 with 45K miles

B_B

I have an old A3 that I'm considering either keeping or selling. I don't drive that much, except for a few trips to/from the continent for vacation. The only real reason for considering selling it is that its getting aged. It gets a yearly service along with its yearly inspection (MOT) - spark plugs, filters, oil, brake fluid, and other relatively minor things. But otherwise it hasn't required any major service.

If I was to keep it, should I consider any preventative maintenance? If I read the the Audi Service Schedule correctly, the only major service needed for this car is 'Replacing the toothed belt' at 133K miles.

Is the service schedule right in this? Can the car really go that long without anything major? Or are there things I should do to avoid breaking down on the road?

I'm new here and so if this has been covered previously, pointers to earlier discussions also v welcome.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by B_B

Bill.

The Audi service schedule is more or less all you need do to keep it in decent condition, though I would add two caveats:

1/ Change the cambelt ahead of schedule if it has not been replaced for a few years. Even though the car may not have reached the recommended mileage, (you have not mentioned the actual distance covered since the belt was last changed,) belts can degrade even when not used. Given the consequences of belt failure abroad it makes sense to my mind to change it in advance.

2/ Take the car for a fast motorway journey of about half an hour well before your next continental holiday. That will reveal any faults that may need to be sorted out before you go abroad.

• Like 1

thanks for the suggestions!    I'll do what you say, and book a service for the cambelt right away.   Fwiw, I don't think its ever been changed,  since the service book  doesn't call for it until 130K miles.

To go 12 years without a belt change is fortunate. Depending on which engine you have, it may be suggested by the garage to fit a new water pump at the same time. That will add to the cost but is worth doing.

Thanks - Will raise it with the shop, as well.    

For my knowledge, is there a usual way to determine when to change the belt?   Is there a check for wear and tear?   Or is it a case of major failure when the belt wears out?

Posted (edited)

But after some googling, it seems that my A3 has a timing chain, and not a cambelt, and that the chain is rated for the life of the engine.   Could that be?

Edited by B_B

Hello Bill,

You could be right about your engine running on a chain rather than a toothed belt. However, I had a feeling that when I checked some time ago, there was conflicting references to chains and belts.

Definitive answer? Take a trip into your local main dealer ( armed with your V5 - with the VIN) and ask for the Parts Dept. -not Service Reception - and enquire about the cost of the belt and tensioner assembly. You will then be informed it has a chain, or a belt. I wouldn’t attempt to do this over the phone. 
If it does indeed have a chain, then I would still get the auxiliary belt renewed on your 12 year old car, unless you have evidence that it’s been changed in recent times.

Back to cambelts (if fitted ) and scheduled changes. 
Choices:- Follow Audi’s current guidance and forget about changing it until 130K miles with no time limit - by which time the belt is likely to have snapped, and all you have to then worry about is scrapping the car. 
Renew it every 5 years or say 75K miles, with the all important caveat -‘Whichever comes first’.

My choice is obviously the latter.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Bill.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

8 hours ago, B_B said:

For my knowledge, is there a usual way to determine when to change the belt?   Is there a check for wear and tear?   Or is it a case of major failure when the belt wears out?

There is no way to check for wear without dismantling the engine, by which point one might as well change the belt anyway. The labour cost of that work is why it so expensive, and also why it is prefeable to change the water pump at the same time.

Whether you have a belt or a chain can only be determined by reference to the engine number or VIN as Magnet suggested.

Perhaps you could update us on the definitive answer from the Parts. Dept. of your local main dealer Bill.

Kind regards,

Gareth.