Clutch biting point

regnills

Hi all. 

Recently changed my clutch to a smf with which I'm happy with. 

The only thing is the biting point is quite high. With the old clutch which was a dmf the biting point was lower down. 

I know the slave cylinder is hydraulic and is self adjusting but is there anything I can do to get the biting point lower. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Hi Stephen

I think you can reset the pedal auto adjustment but if it's the task I'm thinking of its a bit fiddly and involves burying yourself deep under the dash to reset the pedal.

Anyone else know the procedure???

Thanks Trevor. 

I thought as much 

I just don't understand why it's so high. It's self adjusting so why has it changed when I change the clutch. I thought it would of been the same. 

I thought the idea of the self adjusting was so the pedal doesn't change with wear and it takes up any slack (so to speak). 

With the biting point being high would that mean it's going to start slipping well before it wears out. I thought the biting point gets higher and higher the more the clutch wears. 

Hello Stephen,

When you say you replaced your clutch with a standard flywheel to replace your dual mass one can I take it you replaced all three parts of the clutch? 

What comes to mind here, and I could be wrong, is whether you now have the correct clutch parts for the total new set up, or parts which are listed for the dmf set up - of course, if different. It might all be down to a thickness measurement (now not possible!) of say the smf in comparison with the dmf. It is quite feasible that your pedal bite position would be influenced by any difference in this set up.

Not sure if this helps, but....

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Replaced with solid mass flywheel. Yes replaced all parts. Flywheel, fiction plate, cover and thrust bearing. 

Dont need as much pressure than the last one and is silky smooth to press, just would like the biting point where it used to be. 

If I keep my foot lightly on the pedal (I know that's wrong) which delivering around housing estates turning left and right a lot I tend to do and it starts slipping a bit but as soon as I take my foot off it fully locks in and I rocket down the road. Got to have a bit of fun.

all the parts were bought as a convention kit, all in 1 box from a high street car spares place. They say they sell a lot to taxi drivers since it's so much cheaper