Buying advice 3.2 v6

Dmb10k

Hi guys. After researching a few different cars I have decided to get the 3.2 a3 my budget is tops 4k and there seams to be a good stock of cars out there anywhere between 2.5k up to that mark. Ideally I'll be after the s-line as they have full leather over the sport half leather version? And better suspension? Any other model differences I should know about and any essential extras I should look for? Main reason for buying the car is the engine obviously :-) my main question is what difference is there between the pre and post face lift versions (2005 onwards) other than cosmetic? Any links or info would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan

I'm no expert but I have a 2004 3.2, v6 8P1, bought it earlier in the year, I looked at similar priced S3s but they had all been hammered.

For that kind of money your probably looking at an 80k mileage car, I have one and I love it.  in terms of basics, check the previous MOT and made sure the very few issues had been resolved, secondly it hadn't had its major service which was due at 80k (Audi wanted £500, Local garage wanted £370 - it depends who you prefer) but that got me some money off and could be the reason someone is selling at this kind of age. These have timing chains not belts, but they can go and its from this kind of mileage it can happen, I'm not an expert but bear it in mind. Check for leakage on in the suspension, mine has started to go.

This is basic and may be stuff you already know - but finally, the battery is under the boot and needs tools to access it, make sure they come with the car!

• Like 1

One thing I did read about - when you test a circa 2004 car, put it in neutral and try to hold 2k revs, if it bounces around it may need a ECU update, its a known fault with the 3.2s.

Thanks guys. I'm still a bit in the dark as to the differences between the s-line model and the sport model. Does anyone have a link which lists the differences? Or know of the s-line has upgraded suspension? I'm finding it hard to find a good example with leather seats most being half leather but can get a set of eBay for about 500 quid so that could be an option. 

• 2 months later...
On 21/11/2016 at 10:10 PM, Dmb10k said:

Thanks guys. I'm still a bit in the dark as to the differences between the s-line model and the sport model. Does anyone have a link which lists the differences? Or know of the s-line has upgraded suspension? I'm finding it hard to find a good example with leather seats most being half leather but can get a set of eBay for about 500 quid so that could be an option. 

Hi mate did you end up buying the 3.2? I have a 3.2 54 reg s line auto.. car runs like a gem only bad thing is the suspension is so stiff! Might be due to having low profile tyres too but I feel every tiny bump in the road.. all the best!

IMG_0128.JPG

• Like 1

As an owner of the 3.2 I do believe the sline has stiffer suspension as standard due to it being slightly lower by around 15mm, at least on the suspension package. It's a lovely cruiser car! And a good one is cheap these days.

• Like 1