Some advice please

Audi94

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone would be king enough to answer how long an audi a6 should last if properly maintained? 

I'll be getting the manual as I plan to drive it into the ground and will be doing roughly 70k miles per year. 

it'll either be the 3.0 s line or the 2.0 black edition 

What are the things I should replace at certain mileages and such?

I'll be doing mostly motorway miles so that's why I'd like the 3.0 for the power incase I need it

Any advice will help 

Thanks all :)

Hello Hamad,

Are you going to buy new or secondhand? 

If new, I think the answer is fairly simple, and the servicing should be carried out according to the recommended schedule. At 70k/ annum, you will of course cover just over 200k miles within the warrantee period of 3 years, and with mostly motorway mileage, this mileage should not present any issues if properly serviced, and respected.

Just as a comparison, there are VAG Skoda Octavia taxis doing this annual mileage on mainly local trips. Not easy on a car! If you want to know the best value for money, least problematic cars to buy, then just talk to your taxi drivers. Our local chaps are now moving to Hyundai after being with Skoda for years.

If you are buying secondhand, then the question is very much open ended, and depends on the mileage and service history and how it's been driven before you own it. Different story there!

Kind regards,

Gareth.

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Hamad,

Are you going to buy new or secondhand? 

If new, I think the answer is fairly simple, and the servicing should be carried out according to the recommended schedule. At 70k/ annum, you will of course cover just over 200k miles within the warrantee period of 3 years, and with mostly motorway mileage, this mileage should not present any issues if properly serviced, and respected.

Just as a comparison, there are VAG Skoda Octavia taxis doing this annual mileage on mainly local trips. Not easy on a car! If you want to know the best value for money, least problematic cars to buy, then just talk to your taxi drivers. Our local chaps are now moving to Hyundai after being with Skoda for years.

If you are buying secondhand, then the question is very much open ended, and depends on the mileage and service history and how it's been driven before you own it. Different story there!

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth, 

Thanks for the advice :)

It'll be relatively new so second hand with minimal miles as possible. 

It won't be a cab per say it'll be a private car that takes jobs so I'd need something reliable but with badge appeal as customers who go to airports expect premium cars with the company I work for :) 

I don't like Mercedes as they are used way to much in our profession, so it'll be either the audi or lexus is300h fsport. 

I've never had an audi before so I'd like something new but articles online are putting me off of getting one as they are more expensive to repair when gone wrong than their German counterparts BMW and Mercedes. 

Do you own one aswell? I'll only buy the manual transmission with the miles it'll be doing 

Regards

Hamad :)

Hello Hamad,

Unfortunately, I cannot advise you on reliability -  with experience of Audi vs. other German makes, but our local long established "executive " hire company who regularly talkes our daughter to and from Gatwick and Heathrow, turned up last week in a brand new black Audi! Lovely! 

Now .."only buy manual with the mileage it will be doing.." 

Oh dear!

Worth thinking about New York taxis regularly doing 250K miles on auto boxes and that's from the 1960s -  when I had hair!  Why would you want to risk having to replace dual mass flywheels, internal clutch slave cylinders etc. at great expense? That's without having to spend your day waving a gear stick about. No brainier - as they say these days? - automatic every time for the use you will put it to. 8 speeds now even, so tick over rpm at motorway speeds.

Good luck with whatever you decide on - and the business.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1