Removing back wiper

Lukes255
聽Share

When I purchased mine the rear wiper had been removed as it had failed, the whole was filled (and still is) with a 12v power socket cap. 聽Out of interest, has anyone replaced their rear wiper when it has failed? 聽Any advice welcome聽

I think that there was a problem with the A3 rear wiper motors failing.聽 The washer tube ran through the housing and had possible leak issues into the motor. I suppose cheaper option was to remove.

Glad that thi sis a common issue as mine has started to squeal like a stuck pig, quick look around showed this;

" If you want to do this. Halfords HFX321 25mm grommet and some clear or black silicone sealant.

You need to remove the plastic on the inside of the bootlid first, 4 torx (i think t20 or 25) screws on the inside, two located in the handle recess and two located underneath the covers that access the fog and reverse lights (you need to remove these covers). then just set about pulling the inner cover off, its on clips so just tug at it until it comes off.

The actual wiper motor is held on by 3x 10mm bolts which are easy enough to get to. However you need to remove the wiper arm first before you can take it off. Undo the cap at the pivot of the wiper, underneath is a 13mm bolt, remove that. What i did from here was use a small hacksaw to cut the plastic part of the wiper down to the metal. Once i did that i just used a flat head screwdriver to break the plastic off. I then removed the bolts from the inside and it was off. Pull out the old grommet, slap some silicone sealant around the inside of the new grommet and pop it into place. I then from the inside of the boot slapped on a load more silicone sealant then went about blocking up the water feed for the motor. Job done."

• Like 1