Surfwill123

Hello. 
I have an Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 2006 plate. When I accelerate the car makes a loud whistle sound exactly like a siren from a police car. I have taken it to a few garages local to me and they have said different things. 

When i disconnect the plate of 6 or so small pipes going into the vacuum solenoid box and accelerate slightly there is no siren sound at all. Does this help narrow down the problem? 

There is is no loss of power, no limp mode just a little bit more sluggish to pull out of a junction than it used to be. 

I am am adamant the turbo is okay and it isn't the bindings. I had a major service done from Audi main dealer and with the health check they mentioned a boost pipe clip was broken. Can some help me as to where I should start at finding the problem? I can't seem to find a broken boost pipe clip or see any leak!

Thanks

Hi Surfwill123,

Sounds to me like a a breather pipe going to the turbo (usually plastic) , have it go into a diagnostics that's your best chance. drive carefully until this is done. other issue could be the Turbo (sorry) but even though you're unable to feel a difference in speeding up, only in first could mean one of the blades in the turbo has very slight movement.

I'd highly recommend going for a diagnostics to prevent further damage.

Keep use updated and good luck!

Bradley

• Like 1

I totally agree with Brad-B5 especially when it comes to loose/broken clips because when boost is pressurising in the hoses, etc it can emit a whistle so worth checking them.

Diagnostics should tell you the boost pressure and if the turbo is not boosting as much as it should then it maybe a new one required.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers  Trevor

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at the breather pipe going to the turbo later then in that case to see if it is okay. My brother plugged it into his fault code machine and it came up with no codes!

How would I distinguish the breather pipe to any of the other pipes? I believe the turbo is in behind the engine and it is very hard to get in behind to see it. (Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?). 

Cheers

One way is to cover the area around the hose connections with soapy water and see if there is a leak present.

For diagnosis of the turbo boost pressure you will need a scanner with live data readout facilities.

• Like 1

Agree with @Trevor 

40 minutes ago, Trevor said:

"need a scanner with live data readout facilities."

Also theres all different parts of the turbo, Have a look at this link, its the circle bit at the top/next too your turbo buts it's apart of the turbo. http://www.gfb.com.au/tech/troubleshooting/20-blow-off-valve-leaks-boost 

1 hour ago, Surfwill123 said:

"How would I distinguish the breather pipe to any of the other pipes?"

Look at the picture linked :)

1 hour ago, Surfwill123 said:

"I believe the turbo is in behind the engine and it is very hard to get in behind to see it. (Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?"

Different cars have different positions for the turbo, look for a big pipe then play the maze game with it lol

Good luck anymore help needed don't hesitate to respond back! :)

599turbo39.JPG

• Like 1

Ah, dang! well was happy to help and hopefully some information to take with you for the future (If ever needed again :s) 

Good luck and keep us updated look forward to hearing from you!

May not be the case in your example but get it checked out ASAP, I had a starnge noise recently, albeit not as loud as yours on my 61 plate A4 TDi.  I noticed the noise and it only occurred when the right pedal was down, had it looked at by local garage who could find no issue, then BANG, the Turbo impellers failed and oil leaked through to the DPF and set it alright.

It went to Audi for diagnosis and they quoted £3.5K to repair but had a trusted person repaired it for £1.8K , my learning lesson was do not ignore out of the ordinary noises.

Hope it all works out and any costs are low. 

30 minutes ago, Digs1972 said:

had it looked at by local garage who could find no issue, then BANG, the Turbo impellers failed and oil leaked through to the DPF and set it alright.

Damn! that's scary, but yeah if you hear anything different, get it checked out, better to be safe than sorry. What a pain though!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Digs1972 said:

May not be the case in your example but get it checked out ASAP, I had a starnge noise recently, albeit not as loud as yours on my 61 plate A4 TDi.  I noticed the noise and it only occurred when the right pedal was down, had it looked at by local garage who could find no issue, then BANG, the Turbo impellers failed and oil leaked through to the DPF and set it alright.

It went to Audi for diagnosis and they quoted £3.5K to repair but had a trusted person repaired it for £1.8K , my learning lesson was do not ignore out of the ordinary noises.

Hope it all works out and any costs are low. 

Ouch!  that's expensive damage and huge bill to complement it.

It would be difficult to find a small fracture but when its spinning at 200,000 rpm it then lets go.

My 57 2.0 Passat does the same whistle/whine on accelaration and always has done.  The amount of times I've looked in the rear view mirror think that their must be police behind me :whistling1:.   I've scanned it numerous amount of times with no fault.  It has now done nearly 60000 since I've owned it with no problems at all.  No loss of power/performance.

• Like 1

I think that is the philosophy I use with my daily hack (Honda CRV cdti) as the turbo whines but it's perfectly fine, no wear/play on bearings, produces the boost but emits a police siren whine but now so used to it that if the Police were trying to pull me over I'd just ignore them thinking it was my turbo :whistling1:

40 minutes ago, Trevor said:

now so used to it that if the Police were trying to pull me over I'd just ignore them thinking it was my turbo

Haha, got to be careful there Trevor, Might be seeing you in a police chase one day and I will know that you haven't even noticed them XD 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...