Automatic transmission

Tej

Hi All, 

I'm not sure if anyone else on the forum experiences that same issue or whether it's normal for an auto. 

With the car in Drive (D)  and my foot on the brake pedal, when I release my foot off the brake, on a flat surface should the car move off (Without pressing the accelerator pedal)?

Hi Tj

Yes, in an Automatic it should do that, This means (like a manual) the car has got the biting point :) so yes perfectly normal.

Welcome to the forum by the way :D

Regards

Bradley

• Like 1

Hi Tej...welcome to the Forum

Yes, in theory, the car should creep forwards.

If it is not, I wonder if the brakes are binding slightly...worth jacking each wheel in turn so it's just of the ground and slowly rotate each wheel ensuring there are no points where it binds. Make sure the transmission is in Neutral when you do this and obviously the handbrake off when checking the rears. Additionally, it is worth checking the Auto Trans fluid to see that it's to the correct level.

Cheers  Trevor

• Like 1

Hello Tj,

Certainly in agreement with Tevor and Bradley. All I would add is that it's not what could be termed good practice to leave the car in Drive - at say lights- and holding its progress by applying the footbrake. It loads the torque converter. I know many people do, including me when I forget! , but best to put it in neutral, then into Drive only when you want to move off.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 2

Hi All, Thanks for the warm welcome ☺.

The car doesn't move forwards itself, the biting point seems very weak its just about moves very slowly. Could that mean the clutch/flywheel could be going? 

6 hours ago, Trevor said:

Hi Tej...welcome to the Forum

Yes, in theory, the car should creep forwards.

If it is not, I wonder if the brakes are binding slightly...worth jacking each wheel in turn so it's just of the ground and slowly rotate each wheel ensuring there are no points where it binds. Make sure the transmission is in Neutral when you do this and obviously the handbrake off when checking the rears. Additionally, it is worth checking the Auto Trans fluid to see that it's to the correct level.

Cheers  Trevor

I'll try checking the brakes to see if they binding this weekend. 

Is there any audi a3 exploded diagrams of the engine components on this forum?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Tj,

Certainly in agreement with Tevor and Bradley. All I would add is that it's not what could be termed good practice to leave the car in Drive - at say lights- and holding its progress by applying the footbrake. It loads the torque converter. I know many people do, including me when I forget! , but best to put it in neutral, then into Drive only when you want to move off.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks for the advise, that is something that  I do. I need to make a habbit of putting it into neutral more. Thanks

• Like 1

Hello Tj,

Have you tried the car on a slight gradient with the selector in Drive and the handbrake and footbrake off? It should simply hold itself there and move off freely when the accelerator is applied.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbdazza said:

what type of box is it? a torque converter or manual box with controller type?

Its a semi-automatic 6 speed gearbox., I just picked it up 3 days ago. Great car just need to sort a few small bits to make it perfect. 

I thought the semi auto things didn't pull forward or hold on a hill? (And are made of chocolate) 

the torque converter style deffo do. But the semi auto things have a real clutch that is pressed until you press the throttle. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Tj,

Have you tried the car on a slight gradient with the selector in Drive and the handbrake and footbrake off? It should simply hold itself there and move off freely when the accelerator is applied.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I will try that later on today  hopefully, and let you know how i get on,

• 2 weeks later...

Tej.

I too have the semi automatic gearbox (I think it is called DSG), and it does actually transmit a tiny amount of power at idle when in D, possibly it's just viscous drag from the oil rather than clutch friction. Not enough to hold on any sort of gradient, but on a level smooth road it will just about try to creep forward. I find take off as the throttle is opened to occasionally be jerky with lots of lurching at about 1000 - 1100 rpm, though most of the time it is smooth and progressive. The whole experience is nowhere near as predictable or controllable as any of the fully automatic gearboxes with torque converters I have driven for the previous 28 years.

• Like 1