Drunken lout put a brick through rear window, Audi quoting £9k for repair!

Mangosmum

First time posting here and looking for some advice help.

As the title says some drunken expletive expletive expletive put a brick through the rear window of my 2010 A3 convertible. No other damage. Autoglass cant do the repair so insurance suggested I contacted Audi for advice and quote.

The gentleman at Audi that I spoke too said that the rear window is not a replacement part on its own and the entire hood will need replacing at a cost of £7k for the hood and £2k for labour costs. 

Spoke with the insurance and they are considering whether to write it off as the cost of repair is the same as the cost of the car.

Has anyone had their A3 rear window screen requiring replacement before and is it possible to do without complete hood replacement. 

Rather distressed at this if I may add that my car maybe written off because of a smashed window.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ouch...welcome to the forum. Cannot really help you as I know nothing about that. But £9k for a 7 year old car seems a lot, looks like they don't want to do it so pricing the job out in my opinion!

Hello Kim,

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune, and it's a distressing need for an introduction into the forum. Let's look at this from a back to basics and the cost becomes logical. Autoglass will repair and replace your car glass if it is available, but I doubt whether convertible hood rear screens comes under that heading - probably with most makes. Audi becomes the next port of call, and because it's a request for a likely slow moving part for a 7 year old model, then the price is going to be sky high. Well you told us that, but at least it makes some economic sense, so you now have to look for economic alternatives. 

Impossible to fit a new rear screen into your existing hood? I seriously doubt it's impossible.

Useful contacts would be classic car trimmers - they are used to making bespoke hoods and should be not be frightened off by this. Google searches should give you some contacts, but try approaching local classic car clubs for all important recommendations. We have the old established Jack Smiths down here at Swansea and you should be able to get his number (and recommendations) via. Lotus (I think it is ) forums. If you fail let me know. I know it's a long way from Surrey, but you could have a free weekend in Mumbles on what these boys charge in relation to others! They are seriously cheap in comparison, and I believe they also do work for insurance companies.

Other alternatives will of course include scrap yards who may just have a rear screen from a salvaged one with normally vandalised roof fabric. You could do searches via. Partfinder - I think it is, but there will be others.

This misfortune could work in your favour if they do write it off and you buy the salvage, but be aware that the car's subsequent value will be less and of course, bang goes your NCB despite it being of no fault of yours. Not on, but true.

I hope you are able to sort something out Kim. Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Hi Kim...welcome to the Forum

I totally agree with Gareth and find it hard to believe that a trimmer could not replace the glass if you can in fact find a replacement glass through Autoglass or similar.

Otherwise a secondhand roof would be the way forward....and as for £2k to fit it....really!  they are not at all realistic prices. I suggest, find a reputable garage/trimmer to carry out the work at a mere fraction of the cost you have been quoted.

Let us know how you progress with this one

Cheers  Trevor

Hate hearing these kind of stories! Scrouts like this not caring how much trouble and cost they can cause for a moments 'fun'

Anyway audi were always going to want to pull your pants down. Quick look on eBay this seller has a power and manual hood for £450 http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=401262147721&alt=web

Not 100% if this is the same model as yours but might be worth an ask. Even if you just bought it for the glass and get a decent body shop to fit as the others said.