A3 2.0 TDI S Line Quattro

Hello Harry, welcome to the forum :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly bunch :) 

what age of a3 are you looking at purchasing?

As always, check the service history and see if and when the cambelt/water pump was changed as this can cost you anywhere from £400-£600 to have done. 

Again check to make sure all electrical items work such as windows as the motors will not be cheap. This includes the aircon, as as aircon pumps/condensers can be expensive to fix. 

Also check to make sure the Quattro system is working. That may sound daft but if it's not working properly it will be expensive to put right. 

Is it manual or auto your looking at? 

If manual, make sure the clutch feels ok and it's not heavy or slipping. Check to see if this has been done in the service history. I would doubt it due to the miles. But again it won't be the cheapest job to sort. 

If your looking at an auto make sure the gear changes are smooth both in auto mode and manual mode. Also check the service history to see when the gearbox fluid was last changed as neglect in this area can be costly. A gearbox oil change will probably cost around £200 at a guess. Also with autos,

if it has paddles on the steering wheel make sure they are changing the gears smoothly. 

Then lastly check and listen out for any whines from the turbo as again this will be costly to fix. Appprox £1000. 

I would advise you try and have an inspection carried out on the vehicle. Companies such as the AA and RAC offer this service. It's also worth doing this because if the seller refuses or tries to make it awkward then just walk away! 

Remember there are plenty of a3's on the market! ;) 

i hope iv not scared you! 

Just don't want you to be stung! 

An a3 s line Quattro that has been well looked after and maintained is a cracking car and you won't be disappointed! :) 

cheers 

steve 

• Like 1

Googling the car scared me anyway! 😂

This has kind of just mirrored the views I've already found, it's 2011, and it's been serviced every year but there's no receipts or info on what's done, is have to ring each garage to find out what's been done!

if I'm honest I drove it today and it seems to drive lovely but I'm frightened of it being a money pit! 

No receipts is the biggest issue! 

I absolutely love my Audi 2.0 TDI Quattro I would certainty recommend one. 

My experience with Audi's has generally been brilliant, they are certainly built to last.

You really have to abuse or neglect one for them to start having big problems.

Obviously check all the basics, tyres, brakes, clutch action. You can print of a pre-purchase checklist to go through online if it helps.

The TDI engines are used in so many vehicles because they're very reliable and well designed.

I love mine because it's pretty quick and yet I'm still driving about getting 40mpg or better.

Do let us know if you buy it because I can give you some tip's to keep it running smoothly and avoid costly problems.

1 hour ago, Hazbo1993 said:

Googling the car scared me anyway! 😂

This has kind of just mirrored the views I've already found, it's 2011, and it's been serviced every year but there's no receipts or info on what's done, is have to ring each garage to find out what's been done!

if I'm honest I drove it today and it seems to drive lovely but I'm frightened of it being a money pit! 

No receipts is the biggest issue! 

Glad I've been of some help :) 

With no proven work carried out I would personally avoid. I'd go for one with proven service history. 

Put it this way my a6 has been owned by my family from new and we have ebery

invoice, receipt and bill. Even for tyres! 

This is the type of history you want but hard to find! But these are the best cars. 

Cheers

steve

It seems to have all the service book ticked, and shows that everything has been done every time it's been serviced, but like you say, there's no evidence. One thing to note though is that I've test driven it, without the garage checking it previously it and it seemed fine, plus in every gear, smooth. It's at a SEAT dealer so they'll do a full service before it leaves, and they've said I can upgrade to a 24 month warranty. Second and third service however were done by a independent garage in Manchester, that I can't seem to find on the internet 😂 Jst trying to think it through and hopefully make the right decision 😳

If it's from a dealership then you'll probably be a lot safer than a private sale.

You should check the Haldex has either been serviced or get them to do it with the regular service.

I would be considerably less worried if it has a warranty too, and it's not a high mileage car really. So I think you're pretty safe.

Audi's own servicing is pretty price competitive now too:

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/fixed-price-services.html#/fixPrice?id=4&serviceCode=SERMIN

Just now, Hazbo1993 said:

Haldex has always been ticked on the service! What is that? 🙄

So basically Quattro as I'm sure you're aware means the car is all wheel drive.

The Haldex is basically a clutch at the rear of the car that engages and disengages power to the rear wheels.

So for example if you're driving around town the car will only supply power to the front wheels, this reduces fuel consumption, among other things. Then when you put your foot down and the car needs that extra traction to apply all it's power to the ground it engages the rear wheels. Additionally if you can imagine your car off road, if the back wheels start to slip it'll disengage them and put the power to the front to pull you out the mud. I mean it's actually very scientific but I'm trying to give you a basic explanation.

It requires a special fluid and a filter to operate and requires servicing usually every 40,000 miles (At least that's what mine needs check your own owners manual).

I should say that a Haldex in order to avoid confusion is not the same thing as a rear differential. Some people get confused.

Thanks for the replies on this, just interested to see if anyone else has any views. 

As above, 2011 67000 miles, manual.

last 3 services were done within the Audi group as they've found it on the SEAT System. So you'd hope they're to a good standard. 

One main thing that keeps bugging me is this potential issue with the DPF. How much is it if that starts playing up? 

the DPF shouldnt cause you any problems if you do a lot of motorway miles. usually you just get sensor issues which aren't too expensive or if it gets clogged you can get it cleaned out. if it does need replacing it'll be over a grand though..

there is of course the problem that it will increase fuel consumption and make your car look like its about to self combust when it regens on the motorway.

Dont do so much motorway driving will only be every couple of weeks it goes on the motorway. 

On the way to work I have a  national speed limit section to give it a blast. But I'm only doing 15000 a year. 

Would it be a good idea if I buy it to get it cleaned straight away? 

if you don't do regular motorway stints you're pretty much asking for trouble.... how long is the nation speed limit section?

if you can find someone with vag-com they should be able to tell you the status of it and if it needs a clean. no point paying out a couple of hundred if it doesnt need it.

weigh things up mate, maybe speak to someone in an audi dealer. i am a diesel advocate through and through but then i have my reasons....

These days diesels no longer carry that benefit of being superior when it comes to reliability and economy. add that to petrol versions generally being lower mileage and cheaper to buy, petrol being cheaper to buy and the lefties doing their very best to 'tax' diesel drivers off the road it seems a no brainer.

• Like 1